Sunday 15 September 2013

Insision - Beneath the Folds of Flesh



INSISION - Beneath the Folds of Flesh (WICKED WORLD - CD 2002)
Technical death metal is not necessarily my favourite thing, but that doesn’t mean that from time to time I don’t like to listen to some more technical, complex and brutal as fuck troops of death. Obviously I will always prefer my LPs of Asphyx, Dismember, Grave or Bolt Thrower over such Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, Decrepit Birth or Cannibal Corpse, but as I already said I do enjoy such music occasionally. Actually if it only has that something unique and intriguing, and is not just a mess of multiple riffing / sudden breaks / fast drumming / piggy vocals and over complexity, then it surely deserves my attention. Insision also belongs to that group of brutal death metal bands, which I like to listen to from time to time and whose severe music is able to shred me each time I listen to them. I already have three or four CDs of this band in my collection and for sure I will get some more stuff when the time is right. “Beneath the Folds of Flesh” is one of these albums, which I have and I must say that this CD is a must have for all those, who like their death metal to be brutal, fast, crushing, quite technical and severe… For sure in this style of music Insision – along with the likes of Severe Torture and Aeon – belongs to the best European bands of the past decade.
And don’t let yourself be misled by the origin of Insision, as their Swedish nationality doesn’t mean they have something in common with the classic Svensk Döds Metall – not at all. It is obvious that Insision has no trace of the classic Swedish death metal and in that aspect they are probably one of the very few bands from this country, which I know and which are staying away from their national metal heritage. Yeah, Strangulation, Visceral Bleeding, Aeon, Immersed in Blood, Spawn of Possession are some other examples for that, but Insision are probably among my two favourites – together with Aeon - holding the crown of brutal death metal in Sweden. Anyway, to describe the music on “Beneath the Folds of Flesh” one doesn’t have to be too innovative and think too long. Insision plays pretty much in the same vein as Severe Torture, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Deranged, Deeds of Flesh and such monsters of brutal death metal. Generally “Beneath the Folds of Flesh” has nothing original or extraordinary to offer; they walk the well trodden and familiar path, but somehow they manage to crush me, because – let me put it as simply as I can: their music is awesome. The riffs on the album are great; there are obviously many, many fast parts, as well as some more complex arrangements, but luckily Insision has also some slower songs here and there, when the music is simpler but also easier to listen to, so that means the whole album isn’t so damn monotonous and one dimensional and so I can focus more on headbanging and swallow that brutal energy, which Insision delivers with pure joy. OK, there are some moments like the beginning of “Trapped Within”, which I am not a big fan of (actually this entire song is the one, which I like least from the whole CD), but who cares if there are also such killer tunes as “Before My Altar” (the best song on the album???), “Impamiiz Graa” and “Temple of Flesh”. The production of “Beneath the Folds of Flesh” may not be the most perfect; it is slightly on the raw edge and the guitars could have been more powerful and louder… but I get used to it after few minutes of listening, so not a major complain here on that aspect. All in all the album is a very good portion of brutal death metal and if you’re into the bands, which I have mentioned in this review then I must sincerely recommend you this CD; get ready for the slaughter!
Standout tracks: “Sado God”, “Before My Altar”, “Impamiiz Graa”, “Temple of Flesh”
Final rate: 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment