Sunday 1 September 2013

Verminous - The Curse of the Antichrist



 
VERMINOUS - The Curse of the Antichrist (BLOOD HARVEST - 7"EP 2013)
This year, anno bastardi 2013, Verminous has finally blessed us with not one, but two new recordings of theirs – and that for me is some sort of an event, deserving a celebration in blood. Obviously the most important is the release of the so long anticipated second full length LP “The Unholy Communion” – for me it was ten long years of awaiting for it to come. And well, that second album of the Swedes hasn’t disappointed me at all; what’s more, it actually turned out to be even greater thing that I would expect and I can sincerely say that “The Unholy Communion” belongs to my favourite albums of the recent years and for sure will be in top three of the metal albums of 2013 (whom with I don’t know yet, maybe with Watain and hopefully Necrophobic, for which I have a great expectation!). But the album is not everything as Verminous has also decided to release a seven inch EP single; “The Curse of the Antichrist” it is called and has been released by Blood Harvest and obviously I had to get a copy. This EP contains one new track plus a couple of covers on side B, so in total we have only 8 minutes of music here, but hell… what an awesome music it is!
The title track on side A, which is the new, unreleased Verminous song, pretty much fits my impression on what the band did on “The Unholy Communion” album. It is the same quality, devastating and killer thrashing old school death metal; so powerful, so lethal and energetic, so extremely vicious and obscure – and at the same time so hooky – that it is impossible to resist it. It is fast and the riffs are just absolutely amazing; I like everything about this song. It is a perfect tune, so every time I play this EP I usually listen to this song like five or six times in a row, as it is just so damn good. Screaming “The Curse of the Antichrist!!!!!!” is not enough; you must also bang the skull! And then there’s side B, which has two covers; Nuclear Assault’s “Hang the Pope”, which is very short song… but I am not a fan of this band, so it is nothing especially exciting for me; but the title of the song is great hehe! And the second cover is Nihilist’s “Revel in Flesh”!!!!!!!!! Aaaarrrghhhh, and that’s way better, as this is a classic song for me, not as useless as Nuclear Assault’s. And I don’t care if somebody will say that this choice of a cover is too predictable and obvious; first of all Verminous’ music doesn’t sound typical Swedish in my opinion and secondly I would rather listen to a killer cover of a song, which I also worship and love rather than an interesting, but forgettable cover of a song, which I don’t like of a band, which I don’t care about at all. “Revel in Flesh” has been recorded very well and is a nice finish of the whole EP. All in all, I love “The Curse of the Antichrist”; to be a perfect single I would probably desire to have here two Verminous songs plus this Nihilist cover, but well… who cares, it is fine anyway!
Final rate: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment