Friday 30 December 2022

Putrid Yell / Soulrot - Putrid and Rotten: Past Life Horrors

PUTRID YELL / SOULROT - Putrid and Rotten: Past Life Horrors (EL CONJURO Records - CD 2018)

I love Chilean death metal scene, it belongs to my favourite, so you can easily guess that I try to grab as many recordings from there as possible. This split CD was a must have for me for that reason, but also because I already knew both participating bands and I really liked their music, so this split was a must have for me. And yes, even if there are two old demos on it, it is still pure pleasure to listen to it. 

Sooo, Putrid Yell comes up with their excellent "When Life Has Ceased" demo from 2013 (originally released on cassette only in very limited quantity) and I really do like this demo a lot. It has that killer Swedish death metal influence, which you can hear in many, many riffs Putrid Yell came up with, but also in the unmistakable guitar tone, atmosphere of the music and so on. It's always so hard for me to resist to such sounds, almost impossible not to enjoy it. Especially if bands such as Carnage or Nihilist / Entombed seem to be the biggest influences. And well, Putrid Yell really did damn solid material and I like this demo a lot. It's a lot of fun to hear such music. Do not expect it to shake your world, but you’ll find raw, obscure underground death metal with a great classic horror influence ("Re-Animator"!). Yeah, it's all what I need, even Impetigo cover is cool. 

I've already written a review for Soulrot's "Horrors From Beyond" demo few years back. And it was a flattering, positive opinion about one of my currently favourite Chilean death metal bands. I'm not gonna write all that again, let me just say that Soulrot sounds very raw and obscure on this demo, it really has that old school feel and is filled with darkness and morbid savagery. Songs like "Incorporeal Autopsy" are really damn fast too, so you can be sure that some necks will be broken after you hear this demo. Soulrot is a band I can especially recommend, their both albums are just a feast for death metal ears. Much better than this demo, to be fair, but “Horrors From Beyond” is also cool to have in collection. 

Verdict: 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment