Friday 30 December 2022

Cryptic Brood - Caustic Fetid Vomit

CRYPTIC BROOD - Caustic Fetid Vomit (LYCANTHROPIC CHANTS - 7"EP 2022)

It's sometimes difficult to keep up with all these new releases that appear every month. So, I somehow have missed the "Swollen with Rancid Phlegm" split between Cryptic Brood and Night Hag. But then I saw that there's a new seven-inch EP available, so I quickly got myself a copy. And here is "Caustic Fetid Vomit", destroying my stereo with two tracks. Since a seven-inch format belongs to my favourite, I have to say that it was a great pleasure to listen to Cryptic Brood in this short, yet fierce, form. 

Side A kicks off with the title track and it is exactly what you want to hear from these German zombies. It's filthy, disgusting, obscure and ugly, almost primitive death metal, which takes the Autopsy influence with full grasps, adding a bit of Repulsion, Impetigo, Anatomia, Repuked or whatever else to their style. This death metal has that gruesome horror-esque aura, it stinks like cadaver and has nothing pleasant. Sick vocals sound like tortured, riffs are sharp and aggressive, even though they are pretty memorable. It all sounds fuckin cool, in my opinion. And I really like that harsh, lo-fi production.  

Side B is titled "Grave of the Brood" and it says in the inlay that this song is an interpretation of "Graves of the Fathers" from Cryptopsy's debut LP "None So Vile". Honestly, I never paid much attention to this band, I heard a bit, but never liked it, never cared for more... So, I cannot say how does this "cover" sounds when compared to the original. No idea. Do I like "Grave of the Brood"? It is OK. There are some cool riffs in it, the atmosphere of this song and everything is close to what I like about Cryptic Brood, so even if it's not the best I've heard from them, it is solid. Does it make me want to find “None So Vile”? Nope. But as a side B song on a seven-inch, “Grave of the Brood” is not bad at all. 

Verdict: 70/100



No comments:

Post a Comment