Tuesday 1 November 2022

Forlorn In Silence - Forlorn In Silence

FORLORN IN SILENCE - Forlorn In Silence (MOURNFUL SILENCE - 7"EP 2001)

I think that this is one of the most unknown and enigmatic releases, which I have in my collection. This 7”EP came from a Norwegian band called Forlorn In Silence and was released around 2001. I think I got it directly from the band, together with their demo CDR “As the Silence Once Again Rises”, but it’s been so long ago that I don’t remember much from those days. Anyways, I did like it enough to make interview for one of the old Panzerfaust zine issues. To be honest, I have not listened to this band in ages, but why not take a chance and introduce them now to all those, who will read these few sentences? You may find it interesting, because Norwegian black metal has always been very popular and as I already mentioned Forlorn In Silence is known to very, very few people, I believe. 

Well, let’s hope that short review will encourage you to get this small piece of black wax (from Discogs only, probably). This EP is very cool, in my opinion. Sure, it may sound a bit archaic nowadays, especially the production is lacking a lot (more depth, more bass, more audible guitars), but damn, it’s a twenty years old recording! Musically it is an atmospheric black metal, in the vein of early Dimmu Borgir, Gehenna, Ulver, Forlorn and such bands. Rather slower tempo, epic, monumental riffing, a strong keyboard sound (sadly, with rather poor production, these keyboards are just too damn loud, for my taste), screaming vocals, kind of epic, mournful atmosphere... The music may sound a bit monotonous, which is why the side B song “Trapped in Darkness” is a bit better, more varied, with acoustic guitar, a bit of blasting drums... but both songs are cool. It’s nothing new, nothing what other bands haven’t done earlier and better. Still, Forlorn In Silence is good enough to catch my attention and it’s almost a shame that they haven’t done anything after this 7” and “As the Silence” demo were released. I really have enjoyed this EP today, I played it seven or eight times and it was just a great time. Later I will play “As the Silence Once Again Rises” too (I do hope that the old CDR still plays hah), so... 

By the way, I wondered what happened to all those people involved in Forlorn in Silene and it seems that the mainman behind this project, Adhramalech, is still doing some black metal, most recently in the band called I Sorg (under the name Ramnsvarturh), which I will try to check sometime. 

Verdict: 80/100

There's the old interview I did with the band for my old fanzine too, in Polish, so don't ask for translation, I am too lazy to do that now. Old times!

No comments:

Post a Comment