Wednesday 14 April 2021

Grimcult - Revelations of Sinister Flame

GRIMCULT - Revelations of Sinister Flame (PUTRID CULT - CD 2020)

A short review this time... And another debut from the Polish black metal abyss, this time I can introduce you to Grimcult and "Revelations of Sinister Flame" EP, released near the end of 2020. Well, this one man project plays a very generic black metal, I have to say. It sounds just as traditional as it is foreseeable and played to death. Honestly, it is almost lame in some fragments, but at the same time I can admit that Grimcult music did catch my attention with some more memorable parts as well. For instance, I am quite surprised to hear some more melodic riffs. They do sound cool, especially if are accompanied by a keyboard background. Just as it is in the best song "Revelations of Sinister Flame", a song deeply rooted in the early 90's recordings. I also quite like the riffage from "Przymierze", which can almost be compared to some old Satyricon. But at the same time I have to say that vocals annoy me a bit more in this song, maybe due to Polish lyrics. But vocals generally sound a bit too dry on the whole EP for me, they lack a bit of emotions or simple ferocity.  

Grimcult delivers rather solid stuff, the atmosphere is properly grim and cold, it all stinks with the rotten basement, but at the same time the sound is as harsh as it remains clear, to allow you to get into the music better. There's nothing revolutionary not exceptional about that EP, I honestly cannot say that it won my full appreciation. But it is decent and I am sure there will be few maniacs, who will enjoy this effort more than I did? 

Verdict: 60/100

No comments:

Post a Comment