Thursday 29 April 2021

Farer - Monad

FARER - Monad (AESTHETIC DEATH - CD 2020)

When I first got this CD in my hand, I had to actually look for its title in the internet, as I had no idea what could that be. But now I know that the band is called Farer and this is their debut album titled "Monad". Well, after giving it few spins I need to say also that while it's not music, which I listen to often, I actually do enjoy this album a lot and Farer quite impressed me, mainly thanks to their ability to create a very dark, ominous and disturbing atmosphere.
And musically we deal here with sort of drone / noise / doom / post metal mixture. Imagine that the band has two bass players, but no guitarist. And they do use these two basses the way that they drill with that pounding sound into your head, almost making you squeeze your teeth in pain. Damn, that shit is heavy. It sounds perfectly, you don’t feel lack of guitars, not to mention lack of melodies or any traditional song structures. You just feel a pounding bass in the guts, nicely combined with sort of ambient / noise shattering patterns. And vocals... Screams, sometimes along with clean singing, do correspondent well with it all.
Farer offers here four long songs (circling for even fifteen minutes) and I can say that they all are very interesting, even if they are rather far from your typical musical patterns and definitely without the usual scheme of verse / chorus. It is intriguing that the music seems to have quite confined means, but it is fully captivating and you find yourself glued to the speakers, swallowing all these fat sounds and instrumental, ambient passages. It’s disturbing, it’s mesmerizing, it’s surprising, it's experimental… It’s something I cannot forget about quickly, because there’s something intriguing about Farer that I do not find in the bands I listen to daily. Good stuff, indeed. And I really like that aesthetic design of the digipak. That’s something really cool.
Standout track: "Asulon"
Verdict: 75/100 

Check out also this nice live footage


 

No comments:

Post a Comment