Monday 15 June 2020

Aguynguerran - Christreign Annihilation

AGUYNGUERRAN - Christreign Annihilation (Self financed demo CDR 2003)
Ages, ages ago, back in 2003, I got a great demo CDR from a band called Aguynguerran titled "Christreign Annihilation". They were from Belgium and you shouldn't be surprised if I write that their black metal sounded a lot like Enthroned. And I'm writing it not because one of Aguynguerran was in Enthroned for a short period of time (especially if he was a member few years after Aguynguerran was formed). It's just because the music is soaked in that characteristic style from "Towards the Skullthrone of Satan" or “Regie Sathanas”! The riffing style is very alike, the atmosphere and sound... even vocals were a lot like Lord Sabathan's, who belongs to the most characteristic black metal vocalists from that late 90's / early 00's era.  
Therefore, it’s all weird and a little bit funny to hear another band from Belgium, which would sound like that. If I didn't tell you it's Aguynguerran, you would think it's Enthroned. Is it something bad? Well, there are so many bands, which sound like Entombed or Darkthrone or Watain... Why there cannot be a band alike to Enthroned? Besides, I think that "Christreign Annihilation" is a very cool demo. I like these vicious, brutal satanic songs, full of blasts and savagery. Sure, Aguynguerran brought back a lot of ideas that were already used by someone else - take that mid melodic part in "Returning from the Ancient Battlefields" for instance. The intro sounds like “Silvester Anfgang” on the other hand... And the opening riff and drumming from "Eternal Fire Dominion" also reminded me a song "Deathcrush" a lot. A lot! Marduk could be heard here and there also. But who cares? As I mentioned, even if originality wasn't the strongest aspect of Aguynguerran music, they sounded awesome. I'm quite happy then that I got this demo, also because it seems like "Christreign Annihilation" is quite rare nowadays. Officially it was only released on cassette as far as I know, so this CDR is quite hard to find. And I like it more than their debut album “Perverting the Nazarene Cult”, would you believe? Not to mention some weaker Enthroned albums, especially their boring “Bestial Armoured Hell” LP. 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment