Sunday 7 June 2020

Czort - Apostoł

CZORT - Apostoł (Under the Sign of Garazel - CD 2020)
This album really turned out to be a nice surprise for me. Obviously I have also both previous Czort releases, which are "Czarna ewangelia" album and "Under the White Flame" split and I like them a lot, but I think that "Apostoł" shows such an improvement and more mature approach, especially when compared to the debut album, that the impression is simply great. I really do think that as such, "Apostoł" stepped on a different quality level, so we can only applause the band for achieving that. 
It must be said right away that the main foundation of Czort's black metal lies in the melody. There's just plenty of them. Everywhere. And that melody is dark, sinister, mesmerizing and infectious as hell. Songs are insanely memorable for a black metal, where there are no keyboards or symphonic interludes. But guitar work is awesome, there are many great riffs, melodic fills, great arrangements... I like how they achieved that epic feel, without turning into pile of boring bombastic crap. With only the traditional instrumentation the music sounds harsher, more vicious and aggressive, even if it's constantly slow or mid paced and harmonious. The production also surprised me, as it's clean, yet powerful, with not much of that primitive feel left. Finally, I was surprised when I heard the vocals - how easily I could understand the lyrics, despite that harsh, raspy voice. All lyrics are in Polish, so it all together creates something different and gives more unique effect, what also adds to the worth of "Apostoł". 
Some parts - like "Schody podświadomości" - remind me about the old Greek scene, I also think that there is a bit of similarity to Mgła, if you think about that leading melodic pattern in "Manicheistyczny dualizm wszechświata" for example. But at the same time Czort does a lot of things differently, I think that their music is more diverse and richer from Mgła's. Other time I had Christ Agony in my mind... Damn, you could even bring a resemblance to the great Swedish melodic black metal from late 90's, characteristic for the bands from No Fashion Records. If I was going to moan about anything, then I would wish to hear at least one song, which would be fast and venomous, filled with that fury and hate... There’s nothing in this vein here. Nevermind though, it’s as good as it is. Czort came up with a bunch of really good songs, "Apostoł" is memorable and it's a great listen, in my opinion. Really an album worth of recommendation and for sure one of the top releases from the Polish hell this year. 
Standout tracks: Grając w szachy z Diabłem”, "Manicheistyczny dualizm wszechświata", “Manifest niepodległej woli 
Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment