Sunday 21 April 2019

Gruesome - Twisted Prayers

GRUESOME - Twisted Prayers (RELAPSE Records - LP 2018)
When they write in their thanks list that they give "extra special mega-extreme total death and beyond thanks" to Evil Chuck "whose shadow looms forever large on the underground, we hope we've helped keep Death alive in our own small way" or "our quest to keep the great legacy of Chuck Schuldiner alive!", then it doesn't leave even the smallest doubt how we should treat Gruesome. Not as a rip off or useless copycat type of band, but as a serious tribute, maybe even sort of continuation of the legendary Death (although that may be a bit too much said). And I love their work. Actually, I have to say that I even like such "Twisted Prayers" over some late Death album - however blasphemous it may sound to some of you. But I cannot have different opinion when "Twisted Prayers" is such a fuckin amazing album.  
I consider "Leprosy" and especially "Spiritual Healing" as the best Death albums ever. At the same time I’m not really much crazy about their late works. And "Twisted Prayers" sounds like a fantastic continuation of these two early records. It has everything what I love about them and it sounds almost equally good. It amazes me how perfectly Gruesome managed to recreate that characteristic style of riffage of Schuldiner, his songwriting, the feeling and atmosphere of the two Death classics. Sometimes it can give a "deja vu" feeling, because there are some melodic lines, arrangements or passages, which sound like something you may already know... but nothing could ruin the impression Gruesome does on me. I LOVE THIS SHIT! 
I'm not gonna describe this record in details, break it to pieces and write about every song, which is here. You already know how it all sounds. Like “Spiritual Healing” and “Leprosy”. You also know that I love it. Let me just say that there's not even a single second on “Twisted Prayers”, which I wouldn't like. There's not a second wasted. This death metal album is close to perfection. Such a good performance and songwritingGruesome did recreate the Death style very, very well, songwriting and all four band members' performance on "Twisted Prayers" are spot on. Their riffs are incredible, bass work, melodic lines also. They even have James Murphy doing a couple of leads in two songs. And the production... What a joy to listen to such a well recorded, powerful and aggressive death metal album. I really think that this album is spotless. We can debate whether it’s worth doing a “tribute band” or not. But if I hear such a killer record, so many amazing songs and it gives me that feeling of total death metal massacre, I cannot wish for more. This is a masterpiece. Yes, I think it’s better than some of the late Death albums. Yes, it is absolutely worth to have in collection, and yes – it is Gruesome!!! And you know, I've been fan of Death early records since 1991. I feel it's so refreshing to listen to bands like Gruesome... killer.
Standout tracks: all 
Verdict: 90/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment