Tuesday 13 October 2020

Kira - Peccatum et Blasphemia

KIRA - Peccatum et Blasphemia (OSSUARY Records - CD 2020)

A couple of years ago I had a chance to review Kira's debut album "Ancient Lies", which - as far as I remember - was pretty fine piece of death / black metal. OK, I do admit that once my review was finished, that CD ended up on the shelf and is still there, covered in dust. But that doesn't mean I wasn't interested in "Peccatum et Blasphemia", which is Kira's newest album. Oh, I was and I am very happy that I had a chance to hear it so early. 

Now I can write that "Peccatum et Blasphemia" is another interesting effort from Kira. It may not be the best album I've spanned this year, but there's something about "Peccatum..." what definitely stands out. The best aspect of the music is Kira's sense for good and memorable melodies. There are some great songs here, where harmonies lead to the best impressions and really give me a lot of pleasure. Example? "One Gram of Your Soul" - definitely the best track on the album. This is the longest song, but everything that happens in it is just fantastic, especially all guitar lines and additional instrumentation. Obviously that's not the only time when "Peccatum..." impressed me. "Lord of Hallucinations" or "Temple of Suffering" are another great songs here. I like that diversity in the music of Kira, nothing's here one dimensional or obvious, even though black metal dominates over the entire album strongly. But there are slower, more melodic songs, or faster, more aggressive stuff like "Weakness Isn't Breathless"... Personally I prefer all these slower pieces. If I can mention anything what I would really change, then I would say vocals. They sound like they had some sort of distortion over them, which is why I don't like their sound. It's nothing major though and doesn't ruin the overall impression. Also song “Necroscience” sounds a bit weaker. And in case you didn't notice, I deliberately didn't try to compare Kira music to any other band. Why? Because it is not so obvious anymore. Good album. 

Standout tracks: "One Gram of Your Soul", “Lord of Hallucinations” 

Verdict: 70/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment