Friday 18 September 2020

Clairvoyance - Demo 2020


CLAIRVOYANCE - Demo 2020 (BEHIND THE MOUNTAIN - 7"EP 2020)

Some time ago I’ve seen few positive opinions about debut demo of new Polish band called Clairvoyance. I was immediately interested, but I don't buy cassettes (Caligari Records), I thought that a CD with 10 minutes of music is also something I would rather pass... But Behind the Mountain gave a helpful hand and released the demo on the best format possible, which is a 7" vinyl! Perfect for such short demo! Awesome. The layout is kept simple as possible, there's no inlay included even... but the music truly fulfilled my expectations and I can say that this demo is fuckin’ awesome. 

Stylistically it fits well to current "trends" (or however you're gonna call it) from the North American death metal scene - both US and Canadian, so if you're into the likes of Tomb Mold, Coffin Rot, Spectral Voice and such, then Clairvoyance will be up your street also. If you want to take the influences even further, then the trail will take you straight to Incantation in the first place. So, this is thick, mouldy, very heavy sounding and brutal, yet morbid and obscure death metal. They create nearly claustrophobic wall of sound, slowly crushing with all these nasty riffs. What I love about Clairvoyance is how they combine all different parts, from slow and even a bit melodic, to really fast and neckbreaking stuff. And vocals are beastly deep, inhuman and guttural as the current cannons tell them to be. This demo is nothing new and as I mentioned, it follows what we can observe in the current death metal scene. But I have to admit these guys did killer job here, for me it's the best debut on the Polish scene since Rites of Daath first EP. And I have high hopes for a full album. 

Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment