Monday 14 September 2020

Goat Tyrant - Into the Greater Chasm

GOAT TYRANT - Into the Greater Chasm (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2020)

Among all Polish death metal bands, Goat Tyrant had to wait the longest to get their debut album done. They did release some demos (first one in 2004), as well as a couple of splits (one with Cultes des Ghoules and other with Doombringer), but it took them twenty years to bring a real full length debut to our crypts. Album, which is called "Into the Greater Chasm". Well, better late than never. They're much faster than Sadistic Intent anyway ha! 

Well, for a band with twenty years of history, some may say that "Into the Greater Chasm" doesn't have much to offer. The thing is, death metal by Goat Tyrant belongs to the most archaic, primitive and raw styles you could imagine. As such, it would be fair to say that it sounds like something recorded in the late 80's or very early 90's, on an obscure demo, such is the overall feeling of this music, as well as the production. Nowadays it has a right to sound insanely outdated. And it does. It's not just the sound quality, but the general style of riffage or vocals – just everything sounds archaic as fuck. But does it sound good? Well, to be honest, I am not so much impressed. The music is quite listenable, I can agree that there’s sort of charm in this morbid, utterly primitive death metal. But so what, if I feel simply bored and there’s nothing about this album what would make my blood run faster? Too often it all sounds terribly sloppy (umpa – umpa drumming? Ehhh), really not effective. I miss a powerful and truly vicious aspect of old school death metal here, I miss some killer riffs, which would nail me to the ground... I am tired after playing this album three or four times only.  

Don't get me wrong, it’s not a terrible album and I am sure it will find some supporters (some, who will really like it and some who will say that they like it because it’s always “cool” to say that you like an old school death metal album). Whatever... If I was going to play the ancient death metal, my heart goes towards Ares Kingdom, Pentacle, Sadistic Intent... "Into the Greater Chasm" only disappointed me. Sorry to say that. 

Verdict: 60/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment