Monday 28 September 2020

Anatomia / Mausoleum - Split



ANATOMIA / MAUSOLEUM - Split (BEHIND THE MOUNTAIN  12"Split LP 2020)

Being a big fan of Anatomia, I was impatiently waiting for this split 12" to come out. Days were long, as it was a middle of the summer, but finally one September day a postman kindly delivered a package from Behind the Mountain with the godly vinyl in it. The "creeping fog" colour looks absolutely beautiful, if you ask me, it’s definitely worth to get this limited edition, but I am more excited for the musical content. 

Anatomia on side A brought exactly what I wanted to hear and I am very, very pleased with their three songs. Actually, I think this is one of the best Anatomia releases ever. It's an absolute masterpiece of rotten, obscure death / doom metal. This stuff sounds creepy and horrifying, with these slowly crawling, massively heavy riffs and with disgusting vocals or vomits, but so perfectly they fit the music and its atmosphere... What I like is that each of these three songs is a bit different, especially "In the Crypt" stands out, with its dark ambiental sound of keyboards and truly a horror-like soundtrack. "Mangled Flesh" is faster, more aggressive and vicious, it may be one of the most mid paced tracks from this band ever, while "Rotting Innards" is a well known slimy doom death metal filth Anatomia is so well known for. All songs are delicious, in my opinion, I love the riffs, the production, the performance... this band is amazing. 

Mausoleum on side B was quite a mystery for me, as honestly, I haven't heard much from this band so far, just some songs like the split with Haemophagus. It seems like this band is very slow, as they did two albums, but their last one is from 2011. I have no idea why it takes them so long to do more new recordings. But here, you will find four new tracks. And well, I like this shit. It turned out to sound really great, with that very old school death metal sound and style, alike to all these godly records from the early 90's, let's mention early Death, Autopsy, Necrophagia, Massacre, Obituary... Eh, you know the shit. Especially "Voices from Beyond" caught my attention and brutally crushed, as it is totally in the Autopsy vein, but the riffage, the atmosphere of this song and sound are all simply killer. But there’s also faster, more brutal and nasty stuff, such are “Shadows on the Grave” or “The Dark Abysmal”, the latter which is a perfect summation of Mausoleum influences. Definitely these guys also did a killer job and their part of the split didn’t disappoint. It's nothing new, but the songwriting and everything else is exactly as I love to hear. Brilliant. Hope they will prepare new album, as with this quality it is going to be a sure winner. 

Nothing else to add. Fantastic release from Behind the Mountain, one of the best splits in a long time. And a gorgeous vinyl colour. 

Verdict: 90/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment