Sunday 24 November 2019

Undergang - Den dobbelte grav

UNDERGANG - Den dobbelte grav (CORTO - 7"EP 2018)
I simply love this gruesome death metal, which became characteristic for the Danish band Undergang. Anything they released I just needed to have and I never felt disappointed. I don't have enough and such releases as "Den dobbelte grav" 7"EP proves that totally! Actually, these shorter recordings are my favourites, because they have exclusive songs and they always sound more special to me. This time, we get a title song on side A and a cover on side B (both recorded during the "Misantropologi" session) - something very typical for 7 inches really, but I am 100% happy with the content. 
"Den dobbelte grav" on side A is classic Undergang song of that monstrous, filthy and creepy death (doom) metal style. Riffs are simply excellent, I love how they sound and how that slowly crawling, massively heavy, crushing riffage is able to set sinister, horror atmosphere. Especially when sick vocals really sound inhuman and you could imagine that they're some noises coming from a murderous cave monster. I think that Undergang sounds a lot like Anatomia, with that ability to compose and further also impress with their Neanderthal doom death metal – which is also why both bands belong to my favourites. 
As for the cover, there is Bolt Thrower's "Powder Burns" from "Mercenary" - probably the most underrated Bolt Thrower's records. Obviously Undergang did a phenomenal job with this song, their version sounds absolutely killer and I am fully impressed with it. I don’t have to write anything else about that. If you know the original song, then it’s pretty much alike, but more loathsome. Yeah, great song on side A, killer cover on side B - this is a perfect 7"EP for me. And just check that fantastic artwork and high quality gatefold presentation.
Verdict: 90/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment