Friday 22 November 2019

Crucifier - Stronger than Passing Time

CRUCIFIER - Stronger than Passing Time (DEATH TO MANKIND - CD 2003)
There are many killer albums, which I think are criminally overlooked, but which deserve more recognition. And here’s one of them – "Stronger than Passing Time" by Crucifier, an absolutely fantastic piece of the US death metal filth. It was released 16 years ago, but I decided to write few words about it anyway. Why the hell not!? It’s so damn good, it deserves it. Besides, I have some good memories about that album. First time I got "Stronger than Passing Time" was right when it was released from Death to Mankind. I got it for review in my fanzine. I also had an interview with Cazz Grant. I’m not sure now if it was for the second or third issue of Panzerfaust zine. It doesn’t matter. Years later, I still love this album, it still sounds extremely strong, so maybe I could use an opportunity and introduce it to all those, who have never had a chance to hear it. 
But I won't start this review with introducing Crucifier. If you still have no idea what this band is about, where're they from, etc, then just fuck off. That means you shouldn't know. If you've heard the name, but never had a chance to give a listen to their music, start with "Stronger than Passing Time". As I already mentioned, this is killer and very strong death metal. Played in the characteristic for the American scene, bestial, brutal and morbid style, this is death metal, which you could easily put aside to Incantation, Goreaphobia, Imprecation, Acheron, etc. There's similar atmosphere, feeling, similar satanic, obscure atmosphere... But man, Crucifier knows how to crush skulls. Their music is just as heavy and intense, as it should, I love this sinister vibe of their riffs, whether they play faster stuff or slow down into almost doomy wall of creepy sound. And these doom parts are my favourite fragments of the albums, which such wicked anthems as "A Mourning in Nazareth" - absolutely a masterpiece of this style of death metal for me! Same goes for the song “Spirits”! But honestly, this whole album keeps great quality and I absolutely dig it. On top of everything, there’s powerful production, ghastly vocals of Cazz Grant... Bloody hell, it’s such a good listen that I honestly cannot force myself to take it out from the stereo and maybe play something else. Once I started, it’s been there for almost a week. I know that "Stronger than Passing Time" may not be the most fashionable death metal, it is not trendy stuff. But die hard fans of this music should definitely check this album out. Pure satanic feast. 
Standout tracks: “A Mourning in Nazareth”, “Spirits” 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment