Saturday 29 December 2018

Revel in Flesh - Live from the Crypts of Horror

REVEL IN FLESH - Live from the Crypts of Horror (RAW SKULL Rekordz CD 2017)
I've been fan of Revel in Flesh ever since they debuted with their first album "Deathevokation" in 2012. I even added their name to the Metal Archives base and I've been collecting every album or split 7", which they have released since their day one. All together four albums and nine splits! Finally, I also got a brilliant chance to add their first live recording, which is "Live from the Crypts of Horror" unleashed by Raw Skull Rekordz back in 2017. This is a strictly limited to 300 copies CD with a 2017 gig in Siegen, Germany, for which Revel in Flesh played a 45 minutes long old school death metal set, based on their already huge and brilliant catalogue (although I think they missed any songs from the second album). 
So, you can easily guess that for me, as a Revel in Flesh fan, this live CD is just a nice gift and a fantastic addition to the collection. Yes, it certainly is. Even though the sound is rather harsh and has more underground feel when compared to the "studio fixed" professional live recordings, it's a great dose of old school death metal to listen to. And that raw production value gives this album more authenticity and energy, which is so important for such releases. The band plays all their songs smoothly and I can see in my mind the ferocity that was happening there in Siegen.  Their set is balanced between more aggressive, faster tracks ("In the Name of the Flesh") and all these nice, more epic and very melodic pieces like "Torture Throne", which I always like the most. They even added the famous "Doctor Doctor" cover for the end of their set, but just as I don't like their studio version of this excellent song, I also don't think the live version is that good. But who cares? The set list is pretty solidwith 50% of the songs taken from their latest full length "Emissary of All Plagues", which is obviously completely understandable. So, yeah... good stuff and a very nice addition to my Revel in Flesh collection. It’s my first CD with their logo, which I actually have, as everything else they released I own on vinyl. Ask Raw Skull if they still have some copies available. 
Verdict: 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment