Monday 31 December 2018

Mangler - Dimensions of Terror

MANGLER - Dimensions of Terror (RAW SKULL Rekordz CD 2018)
Mangler are Canadian band, formed in 2016 and this is their first album titled "Dimensions of Terror". As it happens every time when I get new, unknown band to check, I had no idea what should I expect. Except that I prepared myself to hear another old school death metal, which is what all other Raw Skull Rekordz bands are playing. What a surprise then to hear much more a thrash metal band than Dismember wannabes. But why the hell not? 
But the thing is, I'm not big into thrash metal, so most of this sort of bands fail to impress me. Some do, like Create a Kill (who're also on Raw Skull Rekordz, but also on Repulsive Echo). I like Mangler as well, they sound pretty solid, there are great riffs all the way through their album, Mangler music is very nasty and aggressive, which is always good and have all these memorable choruses, which you will scream when shaving your hairy chest. But maybe I miss a bit more ferocity, sometimes a bit more speed would be nice to hear, I guess? This music sounds slightly one dimensional after a while. But these are rather minor aspects, they do not ruin the effect. I like how Mangler sometimes incorporates a bit of melody and even some death metal and black / thrash influences. There are great songs here like "Heavy Metal Wolves", which personally reminds me Destroyer666 a bit. The title song is a good example for a more vicious and faster piece, which gives a good energy to the listener. And such "Satanic Pride" is a bit alike to Desaster, so think of some old classics like Possessed, Kreator, but also Merciless, D666 and Desaster, if you would like to know what Mangler music is like. My favourite song is the one, which seems to be a bonus on the CD - "Shit for Brains". It sounds savage, aggressive and you will bang your head like crazy when it plays. 
So, we have here a good, solid album, which for fans of the thrashing madness should be a mandatory title to listen to. Grab a copy. 
Standout tracks: "Heavy Metal Wolves", "Shit for Brains", "Dimensions of Terror", "Satanic Pride" 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment