Friday 27 July 2018

Cancerfaust - Watching You Die

CANCERFAUST - Watching You Die (Self financed MC 2018)
It's been a while since I reviewed Cancerfaust's debut recording "Killing Spree", but finally their second plague has been unleashed under the title "Watching You Die". It's a cassette release only, but I am sure that sooner or later this material will be also released in form of CD, because it's worth it. 
What we get here is basically a continuation of "Killing Spree" demo, which is old styled brutal death metal, influenced by the likes of Deranged, Blood Red Throne, Grave, Avulsed, Vomitory and so forth. You may think that it's the same old shit, too uninteresting and boring to bother, but I think you're wrong, because "Watching You Die" is really damn cool. I like this groove and brutality of Cancerfaust music, I like that nasty, vicious feel of these songs and the fact that they can easily manage to combine aggression and heaviness with a tiny bit of melody and catchiness in some parts, which give more interesting and diverse result. There are just four songs here, but each is done well and each will smash your face with no mercy. My fave tracks? Probably "Cleaning", which nicely grows from that slow paced, kind of majestic sounding opening theme to real fuckin demolition hammer. And the most hooky “Necrofukker”. But every song has some cool riffs, ideas, like for instance all these melodic guitar leads in "Like Rats". I am sure then that if you like death metal, you will like "Watching You Die". It's nothing extraordinary, but very solid and cool slab of death metal, in my opinion. 
I guess the only thing, which I could moan a bit about is the production to have a bit more powerful and heavy feel, a bit more bass maybe. But I don't know, maybe it's cassette fault, because for me all tapes sound shit when compared to CD or vinyl, so who knows... But I can’t compare until another format will be released. 
Standout track: Necrofukker 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment