Wednesday 3 August 2022

Anatomia / Druid Lord - Beyond Putrefaction / Horrid Fate

ANATOMIA / DRUID LORD - Beyond Putrefaction / Horrid Fate (7"EP split - ME SACO UN OJO)

There are a few bands that I'm trying to get all vinyl releases, no matter if it’s a seven inch, another split or an album. I need them all. And Anatomia is one such band. This year we’ve seen the coming of two new splits with the Japanese ghouls – a split with Undergang (a 12” vinyl) and with Druid Lord (a 7” vinyl). And “Beyond Putrefaction / Horrid Fate” is what I would like to write couple of words about here, because it’s one of my recent purchases. Actually, I did get the Undergang split too, but I have not listened to it yet.  

And by the way, both these splits come from Me Saco un Ojo Records, which really belongs to my favourite record labels. I am always glad to have something new from them. And just look at that seven inch and its stunning artwork from Riddick... what a beauty! 

But let’s start with “Horrid Face” from Anatomia. It is a crushing doom / death monster – exactly what I expect to get from them. Filthy, cavernous sound, putridity all over it, creepy, heavy as fuck and droning riffs, vomiting vocals... Yeah, it’s all there, done in the good old Anatomia recipe. It always works for me and never disappoints. Even if we’ve heard it a number of times before from Anatomia and it’s not their best song ever – I don’t care. These guys have such a great gift for doing this sort of music in interesting and impressive way. They sound like no other band and maybe this is why I prefer their music from most of other doom / death metal bands around. 

B side brings “Beyond Putrefaction” from Druid Lord... well, I think I have not heard this band in quite few years now, maybe ever since the “Baron Blood” EP. They're a solid band too and I do like this song, no surprise. Their doom / death style is more varied and memorable from Anatomia, “Beyond Putrefaction” is not just about slow and gloomy riffs, there are some mid paced tempos and eerie melodic parts too, even a couple of guitar leads, so the music hasn’t got that “primitive feel” of Anatomia (in a good sense of the word). Druid Lord reminds me Hooded Menace from their recent albums, actually, and that is a compliment, since Hooded Menace are another fantastic band from that genre. Anyway, after hearing “Beyond Putrefaction” I am actually very intrigued to listen Druid Lord’s last albums, I got hungry for more from them! 

Verdict: 80/100

1 comment: