Wednesday 3 August 2022

Bottlekopf - The Jokes Are Over

BOTTLEKOPF - The Jokes Are Over (WM PSYCHO - CD 2022)

Here’s a Polish band called Bottlekopf, whose debut album "Absolutely Nothing" was released back in 2014 – long time ago, I have to say. But if I can be honest, I always ignored this band and never had a chance to hear even a single song from them. It changed recently, when I got their second album "The Jokes Are Over". But I cannot say that it made me like them even a little. It didn’t. 

At least I tried. Believe me, I did. But this album is just not for me. Of course, I had to listen to it at least a few times, if only because of writing this review. But unfortunately, I did not get any pleasure from this listening session, after a while I was only driven by the need to finish a review... Kind of “listen and forget” thing – worst thing ever. Does this prove that it is so fatal material? It all depends what music you like. Bottlekopf have composed and recorded some simple and solid songs, from the technical point of view there’s nothing wrong with "The Jokes Are Over"… But I just don’t like it. 

I will say more, this is one of the most unbearable and annoying metal genres for me. It's that painfully groovy thrash on one side and death'n'roll or whatever on the other side, with many riffs which take me back to the mid 90's, when a lot of thrash and even death metal bands started to get those groove and hard-core influences with these stupid Pantera or whatever riffs, which have absolutely the most irritating sound. Daaamnnn, I cannot stand it. I can think of how Sepultura started to piss me off at some point, when they turned into such band. And yes, 90's Sepultura are one of the inspirations for Bottlekopf for sure. I could also add Entombed and Gorefest - both when they have dropped their original death metal style for some other crap. Call me narrowminded, but I just don’t care. It was and it still is a disappointment for me. Bottlekopf gives me no reason whatsoever to like their music at least a little bit. 

And as I mentioned, I believe that there's nothing wrong with "The Jokes Are Over" from its technical side. I am sure that the band had a lot of fun recording / playing these songs, as well as I am sure that there will be at least 136 fans, who will like this album - because this is probably how many copies will WM Psycho sell. I will pass though. I just find this style of music too irritating. 

Verdict: 55/100

No comments:

Post a Comment