Wednesday 28 August 2019

Crusher - Act II: Undermine!

CRUSHER - Act II: Undermine! (SEMETERY Records - CD 1993)
I have to say that I like this EP a lot. Crusher from France may have never been a major league player, this band never got huge recognition, but for underground death metal in France they were as good and worthy band as MercylessLoudblast or Massacra, in my opinion. Already as Frayeurs they recorded some cool demos. Then when they changed the name for Crusher, "Corporal Punishment" album was released and it's very good stuff. "Act II: Undermine!" EP was later released in 1993 by Semetery Records and it's just great, groovy but brutal death metal. Definitely worthy to check and a must for your old death metal collection. 
It's quite simple I suppose to describe the music of Crusher on this EP, because it's hugely alike to British death metal commandos, in my opinion. Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death, Benediction - these bands come to my mind immediately, when I listen to "Act II: Undermine!". Also Gorefest, Obituary... but mostly the British death metal scene, with a small dose of grind! Even the vocals sound a lot like Dave Ingram and sometimes like Barney Greenway! And I don't see this as something bad, because Crusher really nailed some great songs for this EP. They're full of killer riffs, groove, brutality, so it’s a nice stuff, which definitely can give you an urge to bang your foooccciin head!!! With songs like "Storm Brewing" and "Undermine" (the fastest and really crushing song!) they bought me immediately, I always turn the volume as much as I can stand and enjoy this shit! With seven songs and 25 minutes of music, this EP turns into a nice feast... with only one exception, which is "Hell on Earth", a Discharge cover. But that's just because I'm totally not a fan of this sort of music, so I don't like the cover also, I don't care for it and sometimes just skip it, cause I don't want to waste my time for it. Other than that, "Act II: Undermine!" is a nice collection of songs and a solid continuation of "Corporal Punishment". Sadly, it's also been a swansong for Crusher, who split up soon later. But...! But they reformed, no one knows what for, in 2013 and already released a split 12"LP with Mercyless called "Blast from the Past". But I don't know what it's like, never heard a song from it. I don’t even care, to be honest. Old stuff is solid for sure though. 
Standout track: "Storm Brewing", "Undermine" 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment