Tuesday 24 November 2020

Ribspreader - Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod (And a Collection of Ribs)

RIBSPREADER - Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod (And a Collection of Ribs) (VIC Records - CD 2012)

Damn, these 73 minutes of ribspreading death metal can be slightly too much even for me haha! And I am talking only about disc one, because disc two has another hour of music! But that's what "Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod (And a Collection of Ribs)" is - it is a double CD, filled with so much music that it takes a lot of patience to get through all of it in one take. Anyway, I did survive, and not just for one spin, bur for more. That's all because of my sympathy for Rogga Johansson and his bands. This dude is a real fuckin maniac. He can play in 432476 bands, but I really enjoy a lot of his works. Many people accuse him for doing more quantity than quality and that too much stuff from him is simply mediocre. Well, maybe it is true, but who will forbid him from doing what he loves and what he's good at? I won't. Although I stopped buying every single album he does nowadays, there are still some projects I keep my eyes open at. And Ribspreader is one of them. So, even if "Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod (And a Collection of Ribs)" is sooo bloody long, it is just a small sadistic pleasure to torture my neighbours with this neanderthal, simplistic death metal filth. 

And what's on "Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod (And a Collection of Ribs)", that it is so bloody long and it had to take two discs and over two hours of material? Well, first off, disc two contains "Bolted to the Cross" and "Congregating the Sick" albums. Since I already have these albums in their original versions, I don't really care for that disc and usually don't play it. I think it is useless, since the original albums are rather easy to find and not so expensive. Instead, I would rather split disc one into two discs, that would have more sense to me. But they did what they did. I never play disc two at all. 

Anyway, disc one has a lot of new material, which is why this "collection of rips" was worthy to get. First off, there's "Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod" album, recorded in 2011. Let me just say here that I'm not going to go deep into how the line up was changing between all these recordings (because every time Ribspreader was recording something, they had different line up). As for this particular album, it was fully composed by Rogga and it wasn't even intended to be released as Ribspreader. But when he recorded these nine songs, they turned out to sound "like Ribspreader". Which is how "Kult of the Pneumatic Killrod" turned into a new album. It was a wise decision, because the album is just very good. Then there's the best material from disc one for me, which is "Serenity in Obscenity", recorded in 2005 and unreleased before. There are great songs of classic simplistic death metal, very harsh, aggressive and just nasty... With some great songs indeed, like "Salvation (Never Came)" it truly is a worthy piece of music, I can say. Stylistically, "Kult of the..." seems to be a bit more groovy and more melodic here and there, especially if you take such a great song like "The Hegemony of the Hammer" (which sometimes reminds me Edge of Sanity a lot!!) and "Macabre Kingdom". It often sounds also heavier and simpler, while "Serenity..." is more straight forward and sometimes also a bit faster. Anyway, these are great albums. It was nice to listen to them. 

Anyway, disc one contains also songs from two 7"EPs, "Vicar Mortis" and "The Monolith", which is a nice addition especially for all those, who do not collect vinyl. These songs are nothing revolutionary or exceptional for Ribspreader, but they are just solid and with such "Domes of the Ancients" these EPs should be a nice collector’s items, if you ask me. All in all, “Kult of the...” is a good example for that ribspreading death metal Rogga Johansson is so known for. This dude has his own style and you could hear it on these recordings. I like it, even if I can moan that it’s a bit too much material to go through in one take.  

Verdict: 70/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment