Friday 22 November 2013

9th Plague - Triumph of Diabolism



 
9TH PLAGUE - Triumph of Diabolism (Self financed demo 2006)
About decade ago I was in contact with a guy from Sweden named Tony Richter. He used to run his own fanzine called Nekrologium and also had a band called 9th Plague. We shared some e-mails and he sent me some demos of his band. I really liked the music, interviewed the band, then I also purchased 9th Plague’s debut full length album “Apocatastasis Reversed”, but sadly they split up in 2008. And maybe that’s why I almost forgot about their existence, especially as 9th Plague has never really got so much attention like some other Swedish death metal bands did… but yesterday I was searching through the pile of the demos and promos, which I have stocked in the box and have found all 9th Plague’s stuff, which I got from Tony. Cool, I thought… haven’t listened to it for years! So, I quickly took one of these demos and it was “Triumph of Diabolism” demo released in 2006. With three songs on it and just about ten minutes of music it may not be enough to satisfy the hunger of death metal fanatics, but the quality of these songs is good enough to raise the appetite and the interest in 9th Plague. I can assure you that this is yet another awesome, but criminally underestimated band from this country…
Don’t expect a typical Swedish death metal 9th Plague though. This band had just nothing in common with the classic Entombed, Dismember, Grave or whatever… Their sound and style could have been defined as brutal, technical death metal rooted in the US scene and such bands as Incantation, Immolation, Deicide, Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and the likes… Imagine truly dark and evil atmosphere, a lot of fast and utterly brutal parts and just pure death metal slaughter with some massive riffs and great Ross Dolan like vocals… this is 9th Plague on “Triumph of Diabolism”. It’s really great demo. Each of these three songs delivers killer, powerful riffs and I just like everything about it, including really damn good heavy and brutal production. And nothing more needs to be said about “Triumph of Diabolism”. Three songs are enough to cause some serious bloodshed and definitely raise the interest in 9th Plague. Try to get this stuff somewhere or at least their full length CD “Apocatastasis Reversed” and I can promise you won’t regret it. With such tracks as “Renewed Vow of Blasphemy” this is just a winner.
Final rate: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment