Wednesday 29 April 2020

Six of Swords - Regime Decay / Polaris Vortex

SIX OF SWORDS - Regime Decay / Polaris Vortex (REDEFINING DARKNESS / RAW SKULL Records CD 2019)
It's always cool to learn about new death metal bands and I have a feeling like in the recent three or four years I've checked more death metal bands than in the entire 90's haha! Anyway, this time our destination is Toronto, Canada, where Six Of Swords reside. Rather uncommon name for this sort of extreme music, but maybe there's something more behind it, I don't know (I did learn that it’s one of tarot cards only). I know that this CD (released in cooperation between Raw Skull and Redefining Darkness) contains two EPs "Regime Decay" (2018) and "Polar Vortex" (2015), so it's quite cool compilation. 
Interestingly, you won't really notice much difference in the sound quality and compositions between both these EPs. There is obviously a small advantage of 2018 material, but it's rather small one and you will hardly even notice that. Which is obviously not a problem, as this way there's a natural continuation, without a feeling that they don't match. As a death metal band, Six of Swords sticks to the traditional aims of the genre, which is "crush, kill, destroy!" haha. Joking aside, I can say that they provide a whole spectrum of different death metal styles: there's a little bit of the old school vibe, but also more modern type of DM. There's slower stuff ("Malodorous" is a great song!), a bit more groovy playing, a little bit of melody, even some faster parts... Majority of these songs are mid paced though, the music is not very brutal, it's rather about to kick ass with a powerful riff. I can sincerely say that it's not bad at all. I like the production, because it's really energetic, everything sounds more vicious with it, which is what I like to hear. And there are obviously some very cool riffs, spread over these ten tracks, which makes this CD quite enjoyable. It's nothing remarkable, nothing what would stick with me for too long, I even felt a little bored after a while, three full spins and I had to listen to something else... Sure, there are many better bands nowadays, but it’s good stuff, so you could give them a listen every now and then. 
Standout tracks: "Malodorous", "Hells Messiah", "Lock the Cell" 
Verdict: 70/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment