Monday 27 April 2020

Eternal Rot - Cadaverine


ETERNAL ROT - Cadaverine (GODZ OV WAR 2018 / LP 2020)
Time flies so quickly, all of a sudden I realized it’s already been something like six or seven years since “Grave Grooves” 7”EP was unleashed and since I managed to introduce Eternal Rot in form of interview in the paper edition of the very last issue of Panzerfaust zine. Since then everything was going very slowly with the band. They did one song - "Fatal Offering" - on “Vestibule of Hell” vinyl compilation (Wolfsbane Records, 2016). And in 2018 “Cadaverine” album came out on CD through Godz ov War. But honestly, I somehow missed the album and haven’t had a chance to hear it… until recently, when I bought a vinyl version that the same Godz ov War released in small quantity of 300 copies only. Better late than never, they say, as so it’s true. I am very glad that “Cadaverine” finally spread its stench in my home, as it’s a good album. I can immediately recommend it to you all, although the CD version is sold out by now, so there’s only vinyl available.
Anyway, “Cadaverine” is an album, which first caught my eye with its insanely amazing artwork by Marc Riddick. Of course it has to contain zombies and be as grotesque as it’s possible. But I love the artwork both on the front and inside of the sleeve, I also like the fact that it’s just black / white layout, as it kind of fits the overall horroresque aura of the music perfectly.
On “Cadaverine” Eternal Rot once again rips with that sludgy, primitive and disgustingly filthy doomy death metal. You can bet that the music will be heavy as fuck, harsh, almost gruesome and grotesque, if you think of what the atmosphere of this music is, or what sort of deep, monstrous growls has been used. Everything’s quite simplistic, I think, it doesn’t seem that Eternal Rot would need many riffs and chords, but song structures are simple, riffs are slowly crawling within this dark abyss… and I think that there’s sort of repetitive vibe to it, which help to achieve very mesmerizing effect. Honestly, it also seem that Eternal Rot didn’t have many ideas for these songs and stick to just very few of them, which is why I have that feeling that everything is a bit repetitive. But somehow, it works anyway. There are only four tracks here and thirty minutes of music, so the album ends before it actually starts to annoy. And before it gets boring, let’s be honest.
And as it is, “Cadaverine” delivers very enjoyable music, in its hideous way of corpse. I like it mainly for the heaviness and horror atmosphere, as it’s not the album, after which you will say “boy, there are some great riffs”. There are no melodies nor memorable, catchy tunes (“Putrid Hallucination” is closest to it I suppose). Gruesome, slimy cadaverous death metal from start to finish, entirely played in slower tempo, without even second of something faster and more lively. Works for me very well, everything sounds great and the vinyl is definitely a killer addition to my collection. This year another putrid offering will be released, called “Putridarium”, so sharpen your knives for its arrival.
Standout track: they’re all the same
Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment