Thursday 23 April 2020

Exordium - Super Casu Heresis Quondam Combuste Fuerunt

EXORDIUM - Super Casu Heresis Quondam Combuste Fuerunt (SATANIC PROPAGANDA - CD 2008)
When your music collection starts to be counted in thousands, it is obvious that sometimes you can lose track on what's there or what's not. Sometimes you can simply forget about some albums. This is exactly what happened to me with "Super Casu Heresis Quondam Combuste Fuerunt" by Swiss band Exordium. I don't remember buying it. I don't remember when was the last time I have listened to it... I also has absolutely no idea what is this band like... So, one day I found this CD somewhere in the stack of shit and gave it a spin. And well, well, surprisingly I have to say that Exordium is not bad at all. Or was, because this project ended its short existence shortly after the release of this album (in 2008). Anyway, I am positively surprised with it and really enjoyed the music. Now I know that I will not let me to forget about it again. And I want to use this opportunity and introduce you to this album also, because I think it's quite worthy to have, even if it's not the most spectacular release, it's just good stuff to listen to.
It’s easy to describe the music of Exordium, I suppose. More or less, "Super Casu Heresis Quondam Combuste Fuerunt" is very similar to bands like Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Ondskapt and so on... The atmosphere, which is very obscure, haunted and sort of religious will definitely bring you such "Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice" LP to mind, especially with all these chants and raspy vocals, vicious blasting parts and possessed feel. Unlike DSO, Exordium music is simpler, not quite as chaotic and technical, which is good, because the riffs are more memorable and easier to get into, even if the music is insanely fast for most of the time. Funeral Mist could be also quite important source of influence for this Swiss project, so you can be sure that there is enough aggression and demented sounds on the album. I like how these songs have been arranged, as they're not your typical old school black metal, there's a bit more imagination and character. I can do admit though that definitely a touch of classic Norwegian black metal has been included also, of bands like Gorgoroth and such, which is also good to hear. 
Interestingly "Super Casu Heresis Quondam Combuste Fuerunt" contains just three songs, the whole album is not even half an hour long, which is another good thing for me personally, because it is short, but right to the point, so Sinnihr (who's the only Exordium member) wasted no time. Luckily he also managed to include some calmer parts, so the whole album is also pretty well diverse. Soooo... it's quite unknown release, I'm not even sure if Satanic Propaganda Records from Sweden, which putted it out, is still active or not. But I recommend you getting this piece of plastic.
Standout track: "I"
Final rate: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment