Friday 27 March 2020

Blot Mine - Porphyrogenesis

BLOT MINE - Porphyrogenesis (NEAR DARK Productions - CD 1998)
Wow, I had no idea it is such a rare and expensive CD, especially that I haven't even played it in years and basically forgot about its existence. "Porphyrogenesis" is Blot Mine's first album, released back in 1998 by Near Dark Productions and if I remember correctly, I bought it after reading an interview with Blot Mine in Portuguese magazine Ancient Ceremonies. Well, they must have given a good recommendation there. And even though I let "Porphyrogenesis" rot in dust, I have to admit it was a mistake, because this album sounds pretty fuckin awesome. Yes, the band is Swedish and they do sound 100% Swedish, there's no sign of originality or something what would let you distinguish them from a bunch of other Swedish bands, but it doesn't need to be a reason to complain if the music is good. And it for sure is here. 
If I had to describe the style of Blot Mine music, I would simply mention three bands here: MardukSetherial and Dissection. If you want more, add also Dark Funeral, Sacramentum, Sorhin... Put them all together and you'll have "Porphyrogenesis". Blot Mine has the speed, viciousness and uncompromising black metal feel of the first two and melody and kind of epic atmosphere of the latter. When the first song started out, "Greater than Life", I almost had a deja vu and thought it is something of Dissection. So, originality isn’t the strongest side of Blot Mine, but their material sounds solid anyway. And nowadays I think it kicks ass even harder than it did back in 1998. Major part of the album is fast, so the music is powerful, it has also that dark feel, which is so characteristic for the Swedish bands. I like how melodic parts sound between fast, more vicious stuff, and this is a reason why such "Sha Nagba Imuru" is my favourite song here, as it's got the best riffs and best dynamics between the mentioned styles. Also "My Soul in Fury Flew" needs a mention, as this song differs strongly from the rest of the album, being the slowest and most "epic"... But damn, what a great song it is, I absolutely love the riffs there. For that song alone "Porphyrogenesis" is worth of my recommendation. 
So, give Blot Mine a chance, if you ever get an opportunity to grab a copy of this CD. It's not easy and definitely not cheap, but I think this album is worth it, especially since Blot Mine is such an unknown band. But the quality of their music certainly matches the music of Setherial for instance. And who knows, maybe someone will re-release it one day, it would surely be nice to see it on vinyl. 
Standout tracks: "Sha Nagba Imuru", "My Soul in Fury Flew" 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment