Friday 13 March 2020

Vonülfsrëich - Hyperborëan Hills

VONULFSREICH - Hyperborëan Hills (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2020)
Not a long ago I had a chance to rip Vonülfsrëich's "Ylfsreälm Inguz" EP and now Fallen Temple unleashed another CD of this band, "Hyperborëan Hills" album. It was originally released on vinyl only by the infamous Darker Than Black (which means you can forget about buying it on Discogs or Ebay haha), but it is good to see a CD, because I think that this album is a killer. It's better than the mentioned EP, I like all these songs more and generally "Hyperborëan Hills" very quickly proved its worth. 
First thing I have to say about this album is that I am very surprised how clean is the production here. It's still on a raw edge, but it's not that primitive, noisy black metal sound, where you could barely hear anything. All instruments are well hearable, everything has got its own place and order, while it maintains the aggressive and vicious character of the music. Vonülfsrëich's style is traditional, Darkthrone-ish black metal (mainly in the first songs), to make the most obvious comparison, although if you listen to songs such as "Gyromantia" and Soïl" then you could realize that they sound rather different and the riffage is sometimes almost punkish. Maybe with a bit of Horna similarity. It's simple music, there's nothing fancy or sophisticated about it, Vonülfsrëich doesn't use any other instruments than the standard guitar / bass / drums. But I like what these guys do here, it's very cool black metal, with lots of great riffs, some untypical ideas and arrangements, what makes "Hyperborëan Hills" something more than your average black metal album. And as such, it definitely is worth of your interest. As I mentioned, I liked it a lot and I am sure that I will be spinning it a bit more today. 
Standout tracks:Surumarssi”, Ruumiskirja’, “Vonülfsrëich 
Verdict: 75/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment