Saturday 20 March 2021

Damnable - Inperdition

DAMNABLE - Inperdition (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2021)

It's been ages, since I have listened to Damnable for the last time. I remember that back in the early 00’s I had their "Communication of Sounds" compilation CD in collection for a short time, but I traded it for something else. And that's been nearly twenty years ago, I believe, and since then I have not heard even a second of Damnable music. It's just because such insane brutal death metal has never been my favourite thing, I listen to this music very rarely. But now I have an unexpected opportunity to remind myself what Damnable music was like, with their first album re-released on CD by Godz ov War. Originally it was released on tape by Immortal Records in 1994, by the way. 

Anyway, I have to say that it was pure fun to listen to Damnable and "Inperdition" again. Even if I had concerns that this album would sound outdated today, all these fears and scepticism have vanished quickly. "Inperdition" still kicks ass. The production and music couldn't be any more brutal and powerful than it is here. Everything is crushing with relentless brute force, I love that "meaty" and raw sound and how bass is pounding into your ears, making an insane mess within your head. Riff wise there's a lot of old Suffocation, Regurgitate, Dead Infection, or even Cannibal Corpse, there's the same uncontrolled brutality and sickness in the music, from the insane, blasting speed to vomiting low growls. Songs are mostly short (eight tracks in twenty minutes, plus odd intro / outro), but this way the music has more straight forward and violent character. It's all just insane. But as I mentioned, despite having over 25 years on the calendar, "Inperdition" still sounds great, it doesn't show even small sign of archaism. I am especially surprised how good is the production, even for nowadays standards. So, I had a lot of fun when listening to this CD. What a nice exhumation from the old, rotten death metal crypt it was. 

Standout tracks: "Paranormal Verdict", "Self Analysis" 

Verdict: 75/100


No comments:

Post a Comment