Wednesday 5 February 2020

Witchmaster / Voidhanger - Razing the Shrines of Optimism

WITCHMASTER / VOIDHANGER - Razing the Shrines of Optimism (THIRD EYE TEMPLE - Split LP 2017)
Splits are always fun to listen to, I like the idea for that sort of releases a lot, even if sometimes the quality of music between bands is uneven. On "Razing the Shrines of Optimism" we have two great bands, but I also have to say that definitely I like Voidhanger's part over Witchmaster's. One part is killer, another one is a bit disappointing.  
The latter band offers basically one solid song of their simplistic, yet very enjoyable and cool thrashing black metal in form of "Permafrost". This song won't surprise you with anything Witchmaster hasn't done before, I also have heard many better songs from them, but "Permafrost" is fine, I like it. It’s very vicious, nasty and insanely fast, but also kind of memorable and catchy track, and it surely is a solid kick in the face. I would definitely like to hear more such songs on this split. But instead we get Einstürzende Neubauten cover, which is nothing I would particularly enjoy, but I suppose it is cool to hear something so different from the band. And more so, three live tracks complete Witchmaster part of "Razing the Shrines of Optimism", but they're nothing interesting, in my opinion. I am quite disappointed with this part of the record then, I wish there was more stuff in the vein of "Permafrost", not some boring fillers. 
Voidhanger on the other hand never disappoints and once again they delivered quality stuff, played in their already recognizable style. Their music is characterized by mostly fast tempos, viciousness, aggression, it all sounds like a merciless whipping, which will drain the body of all its blood. This is pure slaughter and I like it that way a lot. Here you will find three new songs and I cannot even decide, which one I like the most, maybe "Dyskretny urok upadku", which has such a nice old school vibe. And I still remember Fenriz trying to pronounce the title of this song haha. And “Through the Holocaust of Optimism” is also amazing. But everything in Voidhanger's music is top notch - the harsh, but vicious sound, great riffs, pissed off vocals of Warcrimer. Nothing else is needed. Killer band, in my opinion. 
Standout tracks: "Dyskretny urok upadku", “Through the Holocaust of Optimism” 
Verdict: 80/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment