Monday 10 February 2020

Hell-Born / Offence - Hellbound Hearts

HELL-BORN / OFFENCE - Hellbound Hearts (PUTRID CULT - 7"EP split 2019)
It's been nine long years since Hell-Born released their last album "Darkness" (back in 2009), so it's just great to see them back with this new recording, which is "Hellbound Hearts" split with Offence. It's available on CD and 7"vinyl format and I bought the latter, not knowing that the CD has some more songs. Ahhh, who cares... It's too late now. i prefer more collectable vinyl format anyway. 
Both bands did good job for this split and I enjoyed both parts a lot. Hell-Born brings their usual black / thrash metal devastation with two tracks, one of which is a re-recorded oldie called "Hellraiser" from their very first EP from 1996! As for the new version, it is good, of corpse it is, I like this song a lot, although the original one is a bit better, I especially miss those deep vocals from the old version. It's great anyway, shorter, maybe faster, but kicks ass. "Soulrape" is another crushing song, very savage, straight forward and old school... just as it should be. Good to hear this band back in action. 
Offence also sounds awesome, I actually like their part of "Hellbound Hearts" even more, because it's perfectly executed, vicious and kind of obscure and raw death metal, slightly in the Swedish vein, reminding me such Mordbrand for instance. It seems like this band took a great step forward, especially from their debut CD, because their music sounds better than ever before. Awesome riffs, great vocals from Hellscreamaross (he’s also in Witchfuck I wrote about few weeks earlier), dark atmosphere and very nice production... I especially like how they slow down in "A Slave of the Ancient Race", what a killer song it is! I really have no idea why this band hasn't got a wider recognition outside of Poland, as they're better than most of these hyped death metal bands of nowadays. Not my problem though... 
Good split, in my opinion, so get the 7" or CD from Putrid Cult now. 
Verdict: 75/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment