Wednesday 6 March 2019

Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Wake Up in the Night of Walpurgis

UNAUSSPRECHLICHEN KULTEN - Wake Up in the Night of Walpurgis (PROSELYTISM Records CD 2005)
It took me ages to track this album and buy it. As a fan of Unaussprechlichen Kulten music, I always felt that my collection is terribly empty without their debut CD "Wake Up in the Night of Walpurgis", which was released by Proselytism Records back in 2005 in 1000 copies limited edition. But finally I got it. It wasn't cheap, but who cares... I have it, that's what matters and I can finally give it a listen, because I never heard it before. 
And well, technically speaking you could recognize that it's Unaussprechlichen Kulten, due to some characteristic details, which their music always had - dense, brutal death metal with very obscure, eerie aura and with very original vocals from Joseph Curwen, sound of his demonic growl and Spanish accent. Yeah, it's all here as well. "Wake Up in the Night of Walpurgis" sounds much rawer and uncompromising when compared to their future materials, their music here is more savage and vicious than ever before, with very harsh production and brute energy, which flows from this music. Songwriting isn't quite as good as they showed it on some future recordings, songs are more simplistic, primeval, speaking of their structures, basic ideas, which often are only focused on blasts and brutality. But it's a good listen, I think. I just enjoy many of these Chilean death metal bands, with their merciless, savage and evil sounding death metal assault. Kulten belong to the best. If you dig Pentagram, Incantation, Sadistic Intent, Mortem, then you'll love this band as well. 
"Wake Up in the Night of Walpurgis" is not easy to find, at least in Europe, but check this album out. It's worth the money, despite only 27 minutes of music. But I think it's actually good that the album is short (all their albums are short, especially "People of the Monolith"), this way there's no chance you'll get bored. Also, Proselytism did fantastic work when releasing this CD. I love that 7" vinyl gatefold sleeve, layout, etc. It looks super awesome. And did I mention the concept of Unaussprechlichen Kulten music? I always do mention it in my Kulten reviews, so I’m not gonna repeat myself. Just check this shit out! 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment