Monday 18 February 2019

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation

EUCHARIST - A Velvet Creation (WOLFSBANE Records LP 2018)
Eucharist has never actually belonged to my favourite death metal bands from Sweden and I admit that I've been listening to their two CDs very, very rarely. They never represented my most favourite sound of Swedish death metal. But I'm quite glad that I recently had a chance to refresh "A Velvet Creation", which is Eucharist's 1993 debut album. It's been years since I have listened to it last time, but it actually stood the test of time pretty well and I sincerely enjoyed this album after all these years. No idea why I liked it now more than before. 
But the reason why I even had a chance to refresh "A Velvet Creation" to myself is the newest vinyl edition of this album, which recently has been unleashed by Wolfsbane Records from The Netherlands. I have to say they did splendid job. OK, there's new front artwork, which is something what some of you may not like. I too often don't like when they change covers of old albums on their newest reissues. But in this case, I like this new artwork, so I have no problem with it. The vinyl quality is awesome. Heavy record, solid cover, great layout, with few huge old band photos, a 4-page booklet with the lyrics... It all looks great and absolutely proper for such reissue. It is definitely more interesting to your eye than the previous LP version from Regain, which was rather poor (but it had the original artwork and band photo haha). 
Musically, I was kind of sceptical if "A Velvet Creation" had survived the test of time, if it sounds a bit outdated... But it doesn't! I actually enjoy it now more than few years ago (maybe should blame the vinyl charm for it... nothing better to spin a black wax, right?!). Stylistically we have here melodic death metal from Sweden; one, which you can easily put right next to "Lunar Strain", "The Red in the Sky Is Ours", "Skydancer" and other early melodic albums from Sverige. I think we can all agree that it's been quite characteristic style of death metal, but it's awesome that each of these bands sounded a bit different - despite similarities they shared. It's no other with Eucharist. For instance, one of the things, which I think extinguish Eucharist is the fact that their music was a bit harsher, more aggressive, with quite few fast parts through the whole record. And their type of melodies was not so catchy and enchanting as In Flames' for instance. They sounded darker, more sinister - which is something I obviously like a lot. Maybe sometimes it sounds a bit sloppy, but damn, "A Velvet Creation" does have its great moments. Especially in songs like “March of Insurrection”, when they combine that dark harmony with solid, aggressive and fast to mid paced death metal, perfectly corresponding with the vicious, screaming type of vocals from Markus Johnsson. And there are many more great parts on the album. It's not necessarily easily memorable, but vicious and harsh, yet melodic stuff. 
One thing, which works against "A Velvet Creation" the most is probably the production of the album, which really could have been better. There's no real heaviness and power to it, guitars sound a bit thin, more bass would be nice to hear as well. When compared to the tight production of "Lunar Strain" you can really hear the difference. But let’s be honest – this album was recorded by kids! You shouldn’t expect so much from them. How old were they, when “A Velvet Creation” was recorded?! Seventeen, I think?! But if you listen to the quality of instrumentation, songwriting, the ideas they had for the song structures, arrangements and everything else – wow, that’s something absolutely fantastic for such ageso, let’s just take “A Velvet Creation” for what it is – pretty solid and fine early example for Swedish melodic death metal. Check then this newest vinyl edition, I think it is absolutely worth it. Recommended. 
Standout tracks: “March of Insurrection”, “Floating” 
Verdict: 80/100 

3 comments:

  1. they should have remastered it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Just wanted to say thanks for reviewing the Wolfsbane release of our first full-length album. Good and truthful words - the production was/is a disaster and the original is missing so nothing to remaster, unfortunately. Also fairly correct with the age we were 16 and 17 years respectively at the time of recording but a couple of years younger when the material was being created and when the demo was recorded, which has a much better and rawer production than anything we've ever recorded thereafter!

    So thanks again for your attention and nice words and good luck with Panzerfaust666zine! \m/

    //Markus

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me, this was and is a great album, one of my favourite of all time in death metal!
    If I should have cared about production... hah! I would have never listen to death metal, grind, black an so on.
    It was part of the game, it gave that character, that nuance... today one can't even imagine.
    I rather don't appreciate the modern, clean, perfect productions: almost same sound any time, everything quantizes, compressed to nausea... that's shit, in my opinion.
    In the great old times, you just needed 2 seconds hearing something to guess who's playing with no doubt!
    But I can be just an old man with nostalgia... :)

    ReplyDelete