Monday 25 February 2019

Death Karma - The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I

DEATH KARMA - The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I (NECROSHRINE Records - CD 2015)
Do you know this feeling, when you start to listen to album from completely unknown band and you have no expectations, but all of a sudden, this album turns into pure gold and one of the most impressive things you have heard in years? This is probably what I had in my head after the first spin of Death Karma's "The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I". I could not believe how good this album sounds and how impressive and original is the music of this new Czech band. Obviously this CD did not leave my stereo for many days and it absolutely deserved its domination. Now I cannot recommend this album enough. More so, I am sure that these words won't be enough for recommendation, so you better check the music right now, if you still don't know Death Karma (who are actually a project of Cult of Fire members). 
So, what's the fuzz about? Well, Death Karma impresses with the whole package. First look on the artwork and amazing booklet is enough to bring enormous interest. I love all these paintings, each so perfectly fitting the concept of "The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I", which is about the rituals and funeral rites, based on the traditions of Slovakia, Czech Republic, but also China, India or Mexico! But then there's the music, which fits the conceptual work 100%. Skeleton of the music is strongly based on the mixture of death and black metal, and there's no doubt about it. But some melodic lines, additional instruments (including organs, keyboards, bells, etc), vocals / invocations, but also arrangements and finally the vicious, ritualistic atmosphere are giving a goose skin and impress a lot. From death metal there's aggression and heaviness, while black metal brings its sinister, dark and ritualistic feeling. Death Karma’s ideas are fantastic, like "Madagascar - Famadihana", which starts like some 70's prog rock, to continue in the vein of bands like Master's Hammer or Mortuary Drape. Keyboards especially do great job in this majestic, epic beginning of the song. Surprisingly later on it speeds up quite a lot. I love these blasts in "Madagascar - Famadihana", so this song is not only a very diverse, but it's also my favourite part of "The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I". Generally, every song stands far from the most traditional death or black metal patterns, which is why the whole album sounds so unique. “Mexico – Chichén Itzá” is the most exceptional song, as its ritualistic aura is brought by tribal drumming, mad incantations, some absolutely mesmerizing melodies and riffs... Or check the opening theme for "China - Hanging Coffins". I have goose skin, I do. 
In the end, "The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I" consists six fantastic tracks, which take you into the world of the dead and how it’s been seen in many cultures. From the very beginning till its final second, this album is exceptional and utterly interesting, so I cannot stop admiring Death Karma for being able to bring such a masterpiece. It probably is my favourite album from the Czech / Slovak extreme metal scene ever, so if that's enough for recommendation, get yourself a copy and descent. 
Standout tracks: "Czech Republic - Úmrlčí prkna" 
Verdict: 90/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment