Monday 14 March 2022

Graveyard Ghoul / Casket - Dead... Stiff and Cold in a Box to Decay

GRAVEYARD GHOUL / CASKET - Dead... Stiff and Cold in a Box to Decay (7"EP - LYCANTHROPIC CHANTS 2018)

Honestly, I had no plans to review this split 7", but somehow I have changed my mind after giving this release a nice listening session earlier this morning. Well, I will make it short anyway, because it is only a seven inch and there are just two songs... But first of all, I love such releases, they are the essence of underground for me and always pure joy to hear great bands with exclusive songs and shit like that. "Dead... Stiff and Cold in a Box to Decay" gives me that exactly. 

While Graveyard Ghoul did what they always do - and it is nasty, savage morbid death metal in its primitive form, Casket really blew my head off the most. I had to make small research about this band, because I never heard of them before. And well, it's not even a band, but one man project (from a dude who's also a live member in Evoked). He (Marco) did one demo "Ghouls of Filth" back in 2017 and then this one song titled "Feast of the Fiends". It is fuckin awesome. I love that mixture of Swedish death metal with eerie melody and Autopsy filthiness, I love that dark, horroresque atmosphere of that music... And Casket really do have some killer riffs and harmonies in "Feast of the Fiends", I also like Marco's vocals a lot, since they are not necessarily your typical death growls, but more varied and interesting vokills. All in all, Casket blew my head off and I wonder if there will be more such nasty stuff coming from Marco in the future. I do hope so. As for Graveyard Ghoul, I heard better stuff from them, but "In Search of Blood" is cool as well. This is insanely vicious and aggressive D-beat tune, with also a nice melodic theme somewhere in the middle... Vocals are really crazy and sick... It is just a killer tune. So, certainly "Dead... Stiff and Cold in a Box to Decay" is a nice split, so grab a copy from Lycanthropic Chants. Sharpen your knive! 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment