Tuesday 15 March 2022

Coffins / Cardiac Arrest - Split 7"EP

COFFINS / CARDIAC ARREST - Split (HAUNTED HOTEL Records - 7"EP 2019)

Seven inch vinyl madness continues! And another great piece here! Would you believe that it took me few months to listen to this piece of black wax? It wasn’t something intentional, just a busy playlist postponed it. Better late than never though. And what a killer split seven inch we have here, I really do think so. 

Cardiac Arrest comes with "Perfect Place to Die" - a song, which is basically based on one or two riffs, which go slowly and slowly for over five minutes. Someone would say - that must be boring. No, it doesn't need to be, if you know what you're doing. Cardiac Arrest seems to know. They quickly set up that dark and mournful atmosphere, bringing heaviness and sludgeness of doomy riff and deep beastly growl. There's really something intriguing about "Perfect Place to Die", I almost immediately got hooked and hypnotized by it... and well, I can say that this is a great piece of death doom metal. I do admit that I am very little familiar with Cardiac Arrest, which is a shame if you think that they did so many albums and other splits by now. After listening to this 7” split I feel like I finally should give them more attention. 

And as for Coffins... They are crazy Japanese doom death metal bastards, who love releasing splits more than Ron Jeremy liked to fuck. I'm not even gonna bother to count all shit they already released. But for me Coffins are synonymous to killer death doom metal, just like their contrymen from Anatomia are. Anything you get from them, it will always sound fantastic. "Maternal Death" is exactly like that. Unlike Cardiac Arrest though, this song has everything - slow patterns, grinding parts, it sounds sick and dark, it is gruesome and catchy at the same time... And that natural, raw and heavy production.... Brilliant song, from a brilliant band. I love them. 

Verdict: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment