Tuesday 15 March 2022

Evoked - Ravenous Compulsion

EVOKED - Ravenous Compulsion (FDA Records - LP 2019)

Quite surprisingly, German death metal scene after many years of stagnation really started to breed some excellent death metal bands. Together with such Slaughterday, Revel In Flesh, Omega Vortex, Scalpture or Abythic (and more!) Evoked belongs to my personal favourites, if you ask me. I liked their "Return of the Dead" demo, and then the "Lifeless Allurement" I enjoyed even more. With "Ravenous Compulsion" I think that Evoked filled all my expectations for the classic old school death metal. And I don't care if you say that they sound too much like "Leprosy" or "Consuming Impulse" or "Cursed". I don't care if you say that it's all been done before, and it would be better to listen to the “originals” than their “copy”. I absolutely don’t feel that way and it may be because I feel a great passion in these albums – a passion and love for classic death metal. Bands like Evoked take me thirty years back in the past, when as a kid I was starting to discover this music. And it is awesome that new generation of bands sounds so fresh and killer. 

Speaking more about "Ravenous Compulsion" itself, the musical content has already been described above. Think of these three classics records I mentioned above (I may mention Asphyx too), add a bit updated production - and this is what Evoked sounds like here. More importantly, they have a whole lot of killer riffs and the music sounds nasty and powerful, brutal and savage. It has that spark, which makes you play it fuckin loud and crush all the shit around with ferocity. Their recipe for the songwriting and arrangements is fairly simple, Evoked doesn't really walk away from the classic means even for a second. It is straight forward, but quite diverse pure death metal, even with a bit more melodic themes here and there. And vocals sound strongly like a mix of young van Drunen and Mamelli. All in all, "Ravenous Compulsion" is a sweet as a putrid human meat, this album infected my mind from the first listen. I just love that sort of music and I don't demand to hear more than what I can find here. Great album, this is all I can say. 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment