Tuesday 4 August 2020

Spearhead - Decrowning the Irenarch

SPEARHEAD - Decrowning the Irenarch (INVICTUS Productions - CD 2007)

At first, I wanted to do a long, in-depth review of "Decrowning the Irenarch", because it's such a godly album, but sadly I am too lazy today haha. But I had to write at least few words, because maniacs seem to be forgetting about this album and Spearhead, who are - along with Scythian, Grave Miasma, Abyssal, Lvcifyre and Cruciamentum - probably the best UK's death metal band since the early 90's. When I listen to "Decrowning the Irenarch", it always gives me an enormous powerful impression and thrill, which I can only compare to the best extreme metal albums ever. I don't know then why so little you could read about Spearhead, but I hope this will change one day. 

"Decrowning the Irenarch" is the second of four Spearhead's records. Unleashed in 2007 by Invictus Productions, it is a fantastic, iconic example for how well can death metal mix with black and thrash metal and have this epic, but utterly vicious and aggressive sound, where every riff slashes deep, drums pound like bombardment, while vocals sound like war summoning, commanding screams. In many ways, I feel like Spearhead can be a brother band to the likes of Ares Kingdom, Pentacle, D666 and such, maybe not always stylistically, but with the feeling of their music, the atmosphere it evokes, but also how sometimes underrated these bands are (especially fuckin Ares Kingdom, who are GODZZZ to me!). 

Anyways, "Decrowning the Irenarch" certainly has everything to blow your head off. Amazing, throat cutting riffs, savagery, a lot of fast paced death metal in the primeval, very archaic in some ways style... But there's also a bit of slower stuff and even a small dose of melodic parts, which give a nice diversity to the whole album. There's always very aggressive, violent and powerful music, Spearhead never wimps out, never fails to deliver a quality death metal to us... And I can only honour them. For me personally, "Decrowning the Irenarch" is a perfect record, there're no fillers here, but great songs from start to finish. Even the production is super good, although I was a bit sceptic if Polish Hertz Studio can be proper place to bands such as Spearhead. But the sound is good, no reason to moan about it. Really, a must to have album. 

Standout tracks: all 

Verdict: 90/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment