Tuesday 4 August 2020

Evulse - Call of the Void

EVULSE - Call of the Void (DAWNBREED - 7"EP 2020 / GODZ OV WAR - CD 2020

Evulse are one of those new, fresh death metal bands from the US, which have been splittering our heads for some time now. I mean, just look what's going on there, with all these acts like Coffin Rot, Necrot, Witch Vomit, Fetid, Mortuous, Cerebral Rot, Undeath and so on and forth. It's just crazy, but the US death metal scene definitely became very exiting again, especially since I rather lost interest in 10th Deicide album or whatever. I prefer these young, more brutal and vicious bands. They know how to crush! 

Evulse comes forth from the abyss with a 7" titled "Call of the Void" and it surely is a nice offering. Maybe not the best piece of death metal I've heard recently, also among the young bands I mentioned earlier, but it’s a solid and interesting effort for sure. It definitely makes me want to hear more and observe if the band will come up with a full length soon. Meanwhile, "Call of the Void" offers four brutal, fast and chaotic death metal songs... I honestly have to say that at the beginning of the first track "Hypochondria" I had no idea what is going on, so messy and cacophonic this music started. Luckily, it got clearer after few seconds. But definitely there's a lot of fast playing, riffs are brutal, nasty and chaotic, Evulse does slow down sometimes, like in "Hideous Mound", but it's not that Incantation-like doom bulldozer, which is so common among nowadays bands. There's more of early Morbid Angel or Necrovore to it, sometimes like in "Agoraphobia" you could spot a bit of the Swedish take on death metal... Even vocals are not the typical deep growls, but more like screams or demonic howls. I have a feeling like intentionally they weren't treated in the typical way, but as something to fill the riffs with more evil, abyssal atmosphere... if you know what I mean haha. I am not sure if I actually like how they sound, but for sure it is something different from your common death metal stuff. 

Anyway, this stuff is harsh, very uncompromising and nasty as fuck. Songs are rather short, so do not expect them to be overly complicated, it's enough that they have that harsh, chaotic sound. I think this is a solid and interesting debut. I am glad to have this 7" is in my collection, I know that it's also available on CD (by the mighty Godz ov War), so you better grab a copy before they're available. 

Standout track: "Agoraphobia" 

Verdict: 70/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment