Sunday 23 August 2020

Dawn - Entrance to Malevolence

DAWN - Entrance to Malevolence (QUABALAH Productions - CD 1998)

I was introduced to Dawn a couple of years ago, when a friend recommended me their excellent demo "The Darkness Within". I even managed to find a good copy of this tape and it didn't cost me too much. Of course one great release made me hungry to seek for another two recordings, which Dawn did after the demo. And "Entrance to Malevolence", EP which they released in 1998, quickly ended up in my collection. This CD was released as cooperative work by Qabalah Productions and Revenge Productions; two small labels, which released some more interesting stuff of quite good death metal bands. Just to let you know that it could be worthy to check their old catalogues. 

Musically I have to say though that I don't like "Entrance to Malevolence" as much as I do "The Darkness Within". Dawn's style evolved into more brutal and fierce death metal, with that savage and truly bestial sound, which I could easily compare to the likes of Cannibal Corpse or Sinister. But with all respect for Dawn, "Entrance to Malevolence" is rather forgettable and mediocre piece. Sure, I cannot complain on that harsh sound quality, because it is fine. I cannot moan about the songwriting or technical skills also, because they're both OK. It's just the music is not catching my interest so much and definitely not as much as the awesome demo. It can hardly impress me with anything special, these chunky riffs are fine, sure, but the quality of the music doesn't put Dawn above the average underground brutal death metal. Some may say that the demo was also very typical, etc. Sure, but the songs were better and I prefer that style of death metal from "The Darkness Within" more. One which would remind you MorgothFleshcrawl debut CD or Obscenity more. So... this EP is just 15 minutes short, so I usually play it few times in a row, but honestly I don't go back to it too often. 

Verdict: 65/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment