Monday 13 February 2023

Burial Choir - Descension of Firmament

BURIAL CHOIR - Descension of Firmament (FALLEN TEMPLE - CD 2022)

Finnish bands are experts in the field of most depressing and sorrowful funeral death / doom, so you shouldn’t be surprised to hear that kind of music also from Burial Choir. Personally, it did amaze me though how solid this band is, but also that they’re so little known. As “Descension of Firmament” is a third album coming from them – I don’t think their name ever popped up in my mind before. Anyways, I was treating myself with this feast of mournful and dismal music and I can sincerely say that I really enjoyed every sound from “Descension of Firmament”.  

The album is built upon three very long and almost exhausting anthems, called “Canto III (I-III)”. The title may give a clue that it’s a conceptual record, but I found the lyrics impossible to read, so I have no idea what it is about. With that unreadable font I just had no will to get deeper into that matter (but the presentation and visual side of the digipak are very nice though). Which is a shame a little, as I usually like to read the lyrics, to get to know the album better.  

Well, focusing on the music then, Burial Choir brings very slow, but heavy and monumental riffs, accompanied by sorrowful and melancholic harmony. Their music never really walks away from that scheme, what may be a bit too monotonous for some listeners, dull for other few even... but that’s the whole point, that you need to focus on the music and let it embrace you in its dark and dismal atmosphere. Such music can only work in some specific conditions and if you want to bang your skull then just play Sodom. Even if this album can be a bit monotonous and almost limited in its ways of expression, it has a great hypnotic feeling and just overwhelms with the dismal, funeral atmosphere. It is important that the production is quite powerful and helps the music sound massive and also that the harmonies are so encompassing. I also like how brutal, deep growls correspondent with the music. Obviously, Burial Choir doesn’t reinvent that style of music, you could put this album aside with Mournful Congregation for instance and it won’t bring Burial Choir any shame. They composed a solid and worthy record, which should speak perfectly to all fans of funeral doom / death and that’s it. Certainly, it should go well with a glass of red wine, darkened room and cold, winter breeze outside, for a good contemplation and atmosphere. 

Verdict: 70/100

No comments:

Post a Comment