Monday 11 July 2022

Excarnated Entity - Stillborn In Ash

EXCARNATED ENTITY - Stillborn In Ash (NUCLEAR WINTER - 12" LP 2021)

US death metal seems to have almost too many exciting new bands to offer at the moment, it's almost impossible to keep track with everything what's going on there. For example, I almost missed my chance to hear this debut recording from Excarnated Entity. That would definitely be a shame, because it's another great piece of death metal! "Stillborn In Ash" is their 2019's demo and it was first released the proper old school cassette demo way, then the CD came out. But I was eager to check the vinyl edition, which came out from Nuclear Winter.  

And well, with these four tracks, Excarnated Entity really did catch my attention. They recorded some truly crushing and beastly death / doom metal here on "Stillborn In Ash"! First of all, there's really solid riffage, I love that brute force of it, with nice combination of fast paced, ferocious parts and slower and damn heavy pieces. Obviously Excarnated Entity doesn't offer anything new, but I love what I hear, whether it sounds like some old Asphyx or Incantation or newer bands such as Mortiferum and Ossuarium. There's always something great going on in the music, the songwriting is very, very solid and with that harsh, kind of primeval - and yes, old school it is - feel, which this recording holds, I can say that "Stillborn In Ash" is an excellent example for pure, underground death / doom. I can assure you that the music will roll over you mercilessly, crushing every bone and piece of meat to pulp. Even a dark, more monumental parts appear here and there, with a bit more harmonious guitar work, which is again a fine tribute to the old school death / doom metal (the beginning of the title track immediately reminded me of the good old Paradise Lost!). I really can say that Excarnated Entity plays one of my favourite styles of extreme music, which is probably why I cannot think of anything what would disturb me about "Stillborn In Ash". Each of these four songs is a killer and I am insanely eager to hear more from these gentlemen. 

Verdict: 85/100  

No comments:

Post a Comment