Monday 26 July 2021

Gnosis - Omens from the Dead Realm

GNOSIS - Omens from the Dead Realm (GODZ OV WAR - CD 2021)

The number of releases, which recently come from Godz ov War is quite impressive, I have to say. I can't say that I love all the stuff from them equally - as always there are some better and some worse CDs - but mostly I am happy with this label's choices. Gnosis with "Omens from the Dead Realm" is one of the most recent Godz ov War releases... and honestly, I think this album belongs to my favourites from the entire catalogue of that label. Top five for sure. I've started to listen to this album without any expectations at all, since I never had a chance to hear anything from Gnosis before (and "Omens..." are their third album already). But immediately I was hooked with these songs. And most importantly, I was hooked with that ancient, primeval style of black metal, which Gnosis plays. A style, which quickly brings to my mind such names as Mortuary Drape, Rotting Christ, VarathronMystifier, Thou Art Lord, even Master's Hammer. 

Somehow Gnosis managed to create an album, which perfectly reflects that old scene. To be fair, t is mainly resembling Hellenic cults from the past. But Gnosis did so without sounding like a lame copycat. Every song on "Omens from the Dead Realm", everything that sets the obscure atmosphere, with every keyboard part, fantastic guitar riffs and melodies and ghastly vocals - it's all been done brilliantly. I love that vicious, aggressive, yet very monumental and mystic character of the music. I like how memorable this music is and instantly catchy, how authentic it sounds, even though it's been recorded in the sunny Florida in 2021, not in Athens in 1994. And yes, the production is just top notch, so perfect, so suitable... All in all, there's something almost enchanting about this music, I really had difficulties to free myself from it. Once I started to listen to this album, it did not leave the stereo for few days. How could I leave it behind with such masterpieces as "Typhlotic Visions" or with "Excite the Tempest", which is probably the fastest and most aggressive song here, but so well combining that faster stuff with melodies and keyboards... Gnosis music doesn’t bring anything new to this style of black metal, but damn, they just ticked all the right boxes and composed a splendid album. I have nothing else to add, really. I am not going to describe each song now, I will not try to find proper metaphors for everything I hear here. But I will strongly advice everyone to get that album and just give it a listen. Epecially if you’re a fan of the bands I mentioned above. 

Standout tracks: "Excite the Tempest", "Typhlotic Visions" 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment