Tuesday 20 July 2021

Fossilization - He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten

FOSSILIZATION - He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten (EVERLASTING SPEW - CD 2021)

Fossilization hails from Brazil and "He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten" is their debut EP. I have to confess that I bought this CD after some strong recommendations that I had about it... and damn, I can sincerely say that they were all true. This material is excellent and for me such releases are the best proof for insanity of the current death metal, with so many killer young bands around. This stuff is sick and absolutely awesome. The best thing about Fossilization is that this band doesn’t even sound like most of the Brazilian bands, which I know from the past. I mean all these brutal and blasting bands like Abhorrence or Krisiun - Fossilization is far from this style. Actually, I think that "He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten" has a strong similarity to such acts like Spectral Voice, Phrenelith, Dead Congregation, Blood Incantation... To give you only the most thrilling names of the moment. 

Fossilization sounds equally powerful and bestial, their riffage have that same crushing, overwhelming sound and everything is soaked in the smell of decay. And more so, while listening to this music, you almost feel like drowning in the deep, dark abyss, where is no light nor hope to see any soon. "He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten" sounds absolutely fantastic. This is death metal evolving from the Incantation worship to something new, a bit technical here and there, with some of these killer guitar harmonies and dissonance, which strongly differs such bands from the old classic stuff. This is a brilliant combination of crushing, utterly heavy parts and fast, brutal passages. They both equally make me bang my head and they both truly turn my place into ruin. I can assure that the intensity of this material will not give much hope to take a longer breath... You will suffocate, with no chance of surviving it. Such “A Deplorable Epoch” is one of the best things I have heard, especially the second part of this song. The doom menace of “Neanderthal Tombs” also doesn’t let me forget about it too soon. 

Without doubt, Fossilization blew my mind off. I am close to saying that it's one of the best debuts of the recent months or years even. And definitely this is the most noteworthy death metal from Brazil, which I have heard in a long time. Anyway, I am really looking forward to hear more from Fossilization. Whatever they will do next, it is going to be a must to have. 

Standout tracks: “A Deplorable Epoch” 

Verdict: 85/100

No comments:

Post a Comment