Thursday 18 February 2021

Morbid Stench - Doom & Putrefaction

MORBID STENCH - Doom & Putrefaction (PUTRID CULT - CD 2019)

It's been few years, since I had a pleasure to play and review Morbid Stench's "The Stench of Doom" tape, so I am glad then that I finally have an opportunity to listen to their debut album "Doom & Putrefaction". Yes, I know that I am terribly late with it, because this album was released in mid 2019, but well, I kind of postponed the purchase for unknown reasons... But it's better late than never. And I am sssooooo glad that I finally got this CD, because this album is excellent. Morbid Stench again delivers a great portion of death / doom metal, which to me sounds very much like one of the strongest offerings in this genre. 

Yeah, but isn't it weird what is going on with death / doom metal nowadays? I mean, there were years that all bands participated in the "who's the fastest and most technical" contest and no one played slow, mournful death metal. But since few years a whole lot of killer doomy death metal bands were born and many fantastic albums were released. Even fuckin Paradise Lost composed a song titled "Beneath Broken Earth", which for me is one of the very best death / doom songs ever unleashed to this world. Being a fan of many of these bands, I am just glad to hear such resurrection of this style. 

That takes us to Morbid Stench, who sounds very, very strong on "Doom & Putrefaction" and for me it is one of the better albums in recent years. Obviously, these guys won't surprise you with something new, but damn, their music is fantastic anyway. They simply tick all these boxes, which you need for a perfect death / doom metal. Great, heavy as fuck, slow, but crushing riffs. Occasional faster or more mid paced parts. A necessary dose of melody, which can combine a bit of the early Paradise Lost with the Swedish scene (Eternal Darkness). Harsh, very savage sounding growls. Powerful sound and dark, very obscure, cryptic atmosphere... All these ingredients are here and in result, you could say that "Doom & Putrefaction" is a perfect example for how death / doom metal album should sound. More so, due to their country of origin Morbid Stench has some sort of exotic spice, at least that's what I hear in the vocals for instance (something similar I always pick from Chilean bands for example). Anyway, I truly like this album, it caught my attention very quickly and fully pleased with the musical content. 

Standout tracks: “The Eucharist”, “Morbid Stench” 

Verdict: 80/100



No comments:

Post a Comment