Thursday 6 August 2020

Eternal Rot - Putridarium

ETERNAL ROT - Putridarium (GODZ OV WAR - LP2020)

It's good to see that Eternal Rot didn't waste time, didn’t let us wait for the follow up of their debut LP "Cadaverine" for too long and "Putridarium" is already out. Yeah, you need to keep the fire burning, if there're people interested in your work! And this year is especially interesting for Eternal Rot, because first I (we) had a pleasure to grab a copy of the vinyl version of "Cadaverine" and now it's "Putridarium" time, available already on CD, MC and LP. Guess, which version I chose to buy ha! But damn, vinyl looks amazing. I love Riddick's artwork (great to see it in large format) and on this LP he proved to be one of the best artists for death metal nowadays. I like that old school type of artwork he does and black / white colouring, as it fits bands like Eternal Rot perfectly. The black / white swirl vinyl looks perfectly also. 

On "Putridarium" you'll find four new tracks, the album is just slightly over half an hour long... but as I mentioned in my "Cadaverine" review, I like that these albums are so short, for with this sort of gruesome, slow and rotten death / doom metal there's a danger that a longer album could become tiresome or simply boring. 30 minutes is enough. The recipe for "Putridarium" is basically the same as it was for "Cadaverine", so I could make it easy and repeat a major part of my previous review. I'm not gonna do that, but of corpse it means that it is useless to write a 1000 words elaborate about this new album. What you need to know is that Eternal Rot plays killer dark, obscure doom / death metal, it's very sludgy, almost primitive in its nature. It sounds hideous, with that cryptic sound and disgusting smell of rotten filth. Song structures are again far from being complex, it all sounds quite archaic and simplistic, even if these songs are five, seven or even nine minutes long. But the riffage builds a hypnotizing, dark atmosphere, which honestly reminds me the Japanese godz Anatomia sometimes. Especially these insanely monstrous vocals – which sound like a hideous creature from your unspeakable horrors was gurgling in the tube or something. I like that effect a lot, it’s again one of the examples, where death metal grunts play quite different role from what growls used to be, what were their role to play, arrangements, etc. You just cannot compare it to the old school death metal way so much. But maybe the sound of these growls will remind you Demilich a bit. 

Anyway, as much as I would try, I cannot write anything negative about "Putridarium". I just like this album a lot. Is it better than the debut, I don’t know. There're both good, maybe this new effort is a bit more diverse, speaking of the riffs, thus a bit more interesting. It's good stuff for sure. 

Oh, Grindak – I want your Torchure t-shirt haha! 

Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment