Monday 6 July 2020

Corrosive Carcass - Forsaken Lands

CORROSIVE CARCASS - Forsaken Lands (XTREEM Music - CD 2015)
Formed back in 2004, Swedish Corrosive Carcass did not really catch my attention until they released their second album "Forsaken Lands" in 2015 through Xtreem Music. Although I also own their debut demo "Rot.In.Pieces" from 2010, it didn't really make any impression on me and was rather mediocre at best. Later Corrosive Carcass released an album titled "Composition of Flesh", which I never had a chance to hear - I wish I will one day, although I know that this album contains a lot of demo songs - which could mean that this CD won't be that interesting. But I'm here to write few words about "Forsaken Lands", which is an excellent piece of old school death metal. This album really rips guts and if you dig that Swedish death metal style, but played in slightly more brutal and ferocious way, then this shit is up your street, I dare to say. 
This album actually broadens its influences into more death styles. There's a bit of doom / death metal, splendidly heavy and infectious crushing riffage with a bit of melody, to have killer memorable sound and massive effect ("Memories"). There are blasts, fast as hell, ferocious and insanely powerful, aggressive death metal bits, which really give a huge fuckin load of lethal energy. And there's also that traditional Swedish death metal, in the vein of Dismember and the others (“Blood Ritual”), which I mentioned earlier. That diversity is a great and important aspect of "Forsaken Lands", with it the music never sound boring. Or repetitive - even if Corrosive Carcass would never create something truly unique or original. They just stick to the old recipes, but the way the music has been composed is just perfect. The songwriting is excellent, riffs are awesome, so are these raspy, pissed off growls of Jonathan Sjöblom. Production is also flawless, if you bother to ask. 
So, listening to such albums is a pure pleasure for me. "Forsaken Lands” sounds perfect for me, as a die hard fan of this style of death metal. And I just don't need to hear anything extravagant or whatever, to enjoy the music. It can be ordinary and played number of times before, but as long as it sounds killer and powerful, I am into it. "Forsaken Lands" is exactly like that. If you dig those Swedish bands like FacebreakerPaganizer, Interment or Gluttony - and many more – and cherish old school death metal in the Swedish vein, make sure you get this album, because it is fuckin awesome. 
Standout tracks: "Residual", “Memories”, “The Ghoul” 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment