Thursday 28 May 2020

Putrid - Antichrist Above

PUTRID - Antichrist Above (GODZ OV WAR Productions - CD 2020)
Putrid from Peru strikes with their new album "Antichrist Above" on Godz ov War Productions and when I listen to it, I can only regret that I never had a chance to hear anything from this band before. As here on "Antichrist Above" they really break necks with ultimately ferocious and bestial death / black metal. In many ways their music reminds me the very early Morbid Angel a lot, but immediately I could also think of Angel Corpse, Necrovore, Impiety, Order From Chaos or Vital Remains - to name only few. But comparisons aside, right from the opening song "Warfare in Golgotha" this album kicks ass and I truly like how merciless and fast it all is, how fierce and intense it sounds. And how dark and evil is the feeling here. Yeah, definitely all these bands from the South American hell know how to slay and they hate to sound soft or "compromising" haha. This stuff is just as relentless and brutal as it can only get. But I like that attitude. And I also like this old school, vicious feel, which could remind us "Abominations of Desolation" for instance. Maybe - just maybe - these songs can sometimes sound a lot alike to each other, as Putrid doesn't really try to diverse their music too much, not to mention enrich it with something else than these throat-cutting riffs and speeding drums. Here and there they may slow down a bit, but it always works as a short prelude to another blasting cannonade and wall of savage riffage. Just as it is in such "The Corpse of the Messiah" for instance. As long as it kicks ass, it is not a problem for me. And in this case, I think it is good stuff. I really don’t need from Putrid other than what they performed on "Antichrist Above" - this is exactly what I like to hear from such bands. No compromise, no place for the weak... Just straight forward hellish massacre. Trivial? Maybe, I don’t care. Good album? Yes, definitely. 
Standout tracks: "The Corpse of the Messiah", "Warfare in Golgotha" 
Verdict: 75/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment