Wednesday 8 January 2020

Lost Soul - Übermensch (Death of God)

LOST SOUL - Übermensch (Death of God) (OSMOSE Productions LP 2002)
It's been a long time since I've listened to anything from Lost Soulindlucing their second LP "Übermensch (Death of God)". Which is a shame, because I nearly forgot how good this album is and how underrated it seems. Well, it's good opportunity then to wipe the dust off this vinyl and listen to it again, also presenting this record to you in form of this short review. It's been unleashed back in 2002, which a time, where death metal was slowly rising back to its greatness, after the not so impressive late 90's period. With albums such as "Übermensch (Death of God)", it again started to sound very exciting and interesting. And when I listen to this album now, I think that certainly it is one of the best Polish death metal albums ever recorded. Which has to mean something, if you know how strong the Polish scene is. 
Well, but not always "Übermensch (Death of God)" belonged to my favourites. At the time when it was released, it took me a while to appreciate it. I still remember that after few listens, I was a bit disappointed with it, mainly because I didn't like how Lost Soul incorporated keyboards into their sound. I thought it was only ruining this brutal and fast death metal album. Only later I got used to it and now I know that keyboards perfectly complement the dark and sinister (sometimes almost cosmic) atmosphere of the music. There's a lot of them (keyboards I mean)I don’t think you will be able to mention many other death metal albums, where keyboards would be so active. On one hand it can remind you Nocturnus a little, on the other, sometimes it can even remind you a black metal record. But the result is very good, especially when Lost Soul plays with the speed of light and their music becomes so relentless and vicious. And fast is the majority of "Übermensch (Death of God)", most of the songs blast with no remorse, like an unstoppable death machine or tornado, which destroys everything on its way. 
There are also few slower parts, which crush with great heaviness (like in the fantastic "Soul Hunger"), so diversity is another very strong aspect of "Übermensch (Death of God)". Riffs can often remind you not only Nocturnus, but also late Morbid Angel and... Well, I also have to mention Behemoth (“To the New Light!”). Already the first song "No Salvation" leave no doubt what are the biggest influences for Lost Soul. But everything here sounds spotless, I really like these songs, ideas and riffs, which Lost Soul came up with and also Jarek Grecki's vocals, who do sound a bit like Steve Tucker haha. Still, Lost Soul has enough identity and its own style to stand proud and strong, so I have no doubt that they’re one of the best Polish death metal bands and "Übermensch (Death of God)" is one of their better records. 
Standout tracks: “Soul Hunger”, “To the New Light!”, “Beast Rising” 
Verdict: 85/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment